[Vision2020] Ted's answer to Eric E.

Eric Engerbretson eric@eric-e.com
Sat, 29 May 2004 11:56:58 -0700

--Apple-Mail-42-175636222

Wayne,

Again, great thoughts on your part.

I appreciate very much the need to meed the physical needs of the=20
world's masses, especially since God commands me in the Bible to feed=20
the hungry, and minister to the poor and sick.

I will gladly do these things (at the moment, only with my money), to=20
the degree that a person needs to be fed and healthy to be able to=20
understand a presentation of the Gospel, and then to be helped to live=20=

a life pleasing to God.
But humanitarianism as an end to itself, is helping only half of the=20
man. The Bible says, "What does it profit a man if he gains the world=20
and loses his soul?"

What good does it do for me to feed and clothe a man and leave him so=20
that he can happily and warmly go spend an eternity without God?  As=20
Nick said with his Max Planck quote, it is folly to artificially=20
separate a man's physicality and spirituality.  Any attempts to do so=20
are only illusions, and are a band-aid on a bullet hole.  That is why I=20=

think wholistic medicine, and preventative health, and Eastern medicine=20=

are on the right track. They respect the whole man.

So, yes, I would love to do a Peace Corps mission. But to ignore the=20
spirituality of the people I would be helping would be to harm them. =20
My Peace Corps mission would emphasize the most important "Peace", the=20=

peace between God and man.

Far more tragic than a poor person starving to death and going to spend=20=

eternity with God is a healthy, well-clothed person living a long=20
wasteful life and then going to spend eternity without God.

Best regards,

Eric E.

On May 28, 2004, at 1:16 PM, Art Deco aka W. Fox wrote:

> [...]

> B:=A0=A0=A0 It watches over us continually and protects us and our =
property=20
> from harm.
> =A0
> A:=A0=A0=A0 I haven't seen anything.=A0 Where is it?
> =A0
> B:=A0=A0=A0 The Odg is invisible.
> =A0
> A:=A0=A0=A0 I have heard any barking or anything.
> =A0
> B:=A0=A0=A0 The Odg makes=A0no sound.
> =A0
> A:=A0=A0=A0 You don't have a fence.=A0 How do you keep the Odg in?
> =A0
> B:=A0=A0=A0 The Odg stays with us always.=A0 It is the loving nature =
of the=20
> Odg to do so.
> =A0
> A:=A0=A0=A0 Your lawn is immaculate.=A0 I don't see any Odg droppings =
at all.
> =A0
> B:=A0=A0=A0 The Odg never eats.=A0 Consequently, it makes no =
droppings.=A0 It=20
> doesn't slobber or have bad breath either.
> =A0
> A:=A0=A0=A0 Tell me again what it does.
> =A0
> B:=A0=A0=A0 It watches over us and protects us from all harms.=A0 It =
requires=20
> only unquestioning belief on our part in return.
> =A0
> A:=A0=A0=A0 But wasn't your home robbed of everything of value, =
weren't you=20
> badly beaten up,=A0and wasn't your wife taken=A0for and enjoyed a=20
> month-long sexual romp by a motorcycle gang a few months ago?
> =A0
> B:=A0=A0=A0 Yes, but it must of been good for us, else the Odg would =
not=20
> have let it happen.
> =A0
>
> =A0
> Eric, I hope you are a sincere person who wishes to better the world.=A0=

>  =A0
> After understanding the above parable and its ramifications, perhaps=20=

> you might consider shifting the focus of your faith and the use of=20
> your talents from proselytization to working=A0directly,=20
> non-judgmentally, and non-theologically to alleviate some of the=20
> obvious sufferings in the world -- hunger, disease, illiteracy, war,=20=

> religious strife, crime, social disorganization, etc.
> =A0
> When I lived in Africa as a Peace Corps Volunteer, I meet a number of=20=

> missionaries and other once very religious people of various faiths=20
> who came to Africa originally to spread their religious beliefs.=A0
>  =A0
> The pursuit of the alleviation of suffering and the physical=20
> improvement of=A0the general conditions of=A0life=A0for many of these =
people=20
> soon became the meaning of and center for their existence.=A0 =
Religious=20
> beliefs, if not abandoned for many of these people, became a very less=20=

> important part of their lives.=A0 Their faiths, like Albert =
Schweitzer's=20
> were greatly altered.=A0 I know because I worked with and enjoyed=20
> several of these people.=A0 They openly and unabashedly talked about=20=

> their spiritual transformation and their determination to help those=20=

> less fortunate than themselves in a multitude of non-spiritual ways.
> =A0
> Many formerly very religious persons believed that in the overall=20
> scheme of the universe as they came to see it, preventing glaucoma or=20=

> teaching=A0Africans to farm=A0productively enriched humankind a great =
deal=20
> more than such self-serving activities like building churches,=20
> making=A0doubtful converts,=A0or singing hymns.
>
> Wayne
> =A0
> Art Deco=A0 (Wayne Fox)
> deco@moscow.com

Newer=20
> experiences can and frequently do modify/expand the instructions.
> =A0
> If there is such a thing as eternal life, and if there is a way to=20
> achieve such, then the importance of such an accomplishment greatly=20
> exceeds the importance of giving good customer service.
> =A0
> If there is some being(s) in charge of deciding who is to be eternally=20=

> rewarded/punished, she/he/it/they appear to be very inept managers.
> =A0
> Given the undeniable reality of the plurality of many different=20
> religions, the difference in their ethical pronouncements, the=20
> differences in their alleged paths to eternity, the amount of death,=20=

> heinous suffering, and displacement the practice of these religions=20
> have historically (and in the present) bestowed upon humankind, etc.,=20=

> it is undeniable that=A0clear, verifiable instructions from some =
alleged=20
> deity(s) to achieve eternal reward are=A0obviously lacking.=A0 (If =
not,=20
> this discussion would not be occurring.)
> =A0
> In reality, all things considered, alleged gods as a guides to eternal=20=

> rewards appear to be=A0colossal bumblers -- certainly less effective=20=

> than the poorest of human managers.
> =A0
> Given the human needs that drive humankind towards the plurality of=20
> religious beliefs, it is of very small probability that the words=20
> above will influence anyone to any degree.=A0 However, I write them =
with=20
> hope that they may encourage a few to examine more closely their=20
> sexist, homophobic, racist, pro-slavery, anti-secular,=20
> anti-egalitarian, anti-innovation, and/or anti-liberty=A0points of =
view.
> =A0
> If you have read this far, thank you.=A0 Perhaps I=A0can treat you to =
a=20
> banana split at the Elk River Dairy Queen.
>

> Wayne
> =A0
> Art Deco=A0 (Wayne Fox)
> deco@moscow.com
> =A0
> =A0
> =A0
> =A0
> =A0
> =A0
> =A0

the hungry, and minister to the poor and sick.=20

I will gladly do these things (at the moment, only with my money), to
the degree that a person needs to be fed and healthy to be able to
understand a presentation of the Gospel, and then to be helped to live
a life pleasing to God.

But humanitarianism as an end to itself, is helping only half of the
man. The Bible says, "What does it profit a man if he gains the world
and loses his soul?" =20

What good does it do for me to feed and clothe a man and leave him so
that he can happily and warmly go spend an eternity without God?  As
Nick said with his Max Planck quote, it is folly to artificially
separate a man's physicality and spirituality.  Any attempts to do so
are only illusions, and are a band-aid on a bullet hole.  That is why
I think wholistic medicine, and preventative health, and Eastern
medicine are on the right track. They respect the whole man.

So, yes, I would love to do a Peace Corps mission. But to ignore the
spirituality of the people I would be helping would be to harm them.=20
My Peace Corps mission would emphasize the most important "Peace", the
peace between God and man.

Far more tragic than a poor person starving to death and going to
spend eternity with God is a healthy, well-clothed person living a
long wasteful life and then going to spend eternity without God.

Best regards,

Eric E.