[Vision2020] Longhaired Preachers (pace Joe Hill)

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Fri, 28 May 2004 10:25:29 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C4449E.19B21800

Carl writes:

>While I certainly continue to disagree with Eric's defense of Doug's des=
ire =20
>to "take over" the Palouse, I admire him for continuing the dialogue on =
the =20
>listserve.  It's keeping him busy.

Indeed; I admire Eric's stamina.  Really.  No sarcasm.  I was about to ad=
d that defending Doug is a thankless task, but then I remembered that, ru=
mor to the contrary, Doug is only human.  No doubt he responds to critici=
sm in much the same way as the rest of us do: poorly.  Good thing he has =
so many voluntary defenders . . . and even more on the NSA, Logos, and Ca=
non Press payrolls.  (Okay, that last sentence was sarcastic, but it wasn=
't directed at Eric.)

BTW, this is where we're falling down on the job in our own church endeav=
ors, Carl.  To spread our message, we're relying entirely on friends and =
family and people who can take a joke.  What we need to do is start handi=
ng out the cash.  What have you got in your pocket?  I have twenty-seven =
cents and a ticket stub from "Shrek 2."

>I wonder, Joan, if, in a countermove, the Church of Joan and Carl should=
 attempt to coerce, by >gunpoint if necessary, the less enlightened in th=
e area to our way of thinking, which you and I know to >be the real truth=
?  I confess to a certain lack of skill in the handling of firearms, howe=
ver.  It could turn >out badly.

I take my cue on this from Betty Hutton's Annie Oakley: "You can't get a =
man with a gun."  Now, that said, I am pretty good with a hunting rifle, =
but I don't see how toting a 30-06 will help me to win true friends and g=
enuinely influence people.  Under the circumstances, I think they might f=
ake it.  Besides, in my five-mile cloth orange hunting vest, potential co=
nverts will see me coming from . . . well, five miles away.  That's just =
too much lead time, especially considering the fact that the Jehovah's Wi=
tnesses already have a hundred year head start.

Nope.  It's bribery or nothing.  What are the odds of winning Powerball?

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment

PS: Hey, Carl -- we could go door to door selling our own religious magaz=
ines.  We could call them "All Along the Watchtower" and "Asleep!"  Who d=
o you think would sue us first, the Jehovah's Witnesses or the Jimi Hendr=
ix estate?      Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http=
://explorer.msn.com

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C4449E.19B21800

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <=
DIV>Carl writes:</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&gt;While I certainly conti=
nue to disagree with Eric's defense of Doug's desire <BR>&gt;to "take ove=
r" the Palouse, I admire him for continuing the dialogue on the <BR>&gt;l=
istserve.&nbsp; It's keeping him busy.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Indee=
d; I admire Eric's stamina.&nbsp; Really.&nbsp; No sarcasm.&nbsp; I was a=
bout to add that defending Doug is&nbsp;a thankless task, but then&nbsp;I=
 remembered&nbsp;that, rumor to the contrary, Doug&nbsp;is only human.&nb=
sp;&nbsp;No doubt he responds to criticism in much the same way as the re=
st of us do: poorly.&nbsp; Good thing he has so many voluntary defenders =
 . . and even more on the NSA,&nbsp;Logos, and Canon Press payrolls.&nbs=
p; (Okay, that last sentence was sarcastic, but it wasn't directed at Eri=
c.)</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>BTW, this is where we're falling down on=
 the job in our own church endeavors, Carl.&nbsp; To spread our message, =
we're relying&nbsp;entirely on friends and family and people&nbsp;who can=
 take a joke.&nbsp; What we need to do is start handing out the cash.&nbs=
p; What have you got in your pocket?&nbsp; I have twenty-seven cents and =
a ticket stub from "Shrek 2."</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&gt;I wonder, =
Joan, if, in a countermove, the Church of Joan and Carl should attempt to=
 coerce, by &gt;gunpoint if necessary, the less enlightened in the area t=
o our way of thinking, which you and I know to &gt;be the real truth?&nbs=
p; I confess to a certain lack of skill in the handling of firearms, howe=
ver.&nbsp; It could turn &gt;out badly.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>I ta=
ke my cue on this from Betty Hutton's Annie Oakley: "You can't get a man =
with a gun."&nbsp; Now, that said, I am pretty good with a hunting rifle,=
 but&nbsp;I don't see how toting a 30-06 will&nbsp;help me to win true fr=
iends and genuinely influence people.&nbsp; Under the circumstances, I th=
ink they might fake it.&nbsp; Besides, in my five-mile cloth orange hunti=
ng vest, potential converts will see me coming from . . . well, five mile=
s away.&nbsp; That's just too much lead time, especially considering the =
fact that the Jehovah's Witnesses already have a hundred year head start.=
</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Nope.&nbsp; It's bribery or nothing.&nbsp; =
What are the odds of winning Powerball?</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Joan=
 Opyr/Auntie Establishment</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>PS: Hey, Carl -- =
we could go&nbsp;door to door&nbsp;selling our own religious magazines.&n=
bsp; We could call&nbsp;them "All Along the Watchtower"&nbsp;and "Asleep!=
"&nbsp; Who do&nbsp;you think would sue us first, the Jehovah's Witnesses=
 or the Jimi Hendrix estate?&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV></B=
download : <a href=3D'http://explorer.msn.com'>http://explorer.msn.com</a=

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C4449E.19B21800--