[Vision2020] Re: Eric E. one more clarification

Eric Engerbretson eric@eric-e.com
Fri, 28 May 2004 10:00:32 -0700

--Apple-Mail-34-82250557

I am guessing I had better clarify one more thing I said... I used one
word of hyperbole that some may not have
realized was hyperbole.

When I said "I wish I could coerce everyone in the Palouse to use the
Bible as their owners manual for life.", I meant
"coerce" as hyperbole.  The context of the paragraph was "taking over
the Palouse" which is funny because it implies armed force.  So.. I
threw in the word "coerce", as a tongue-in-cheek reference to "taking
over the Palouse".

Of course, I didn't mean I wish I could physically force everyone to
follow the Bible, against their will!  I wouldn't want to do that even
if it were possible, which of course it isn't.  I meant I wish I could
"coerce" everyone with logic and good arguments to see the truths I'm
referring to.  As does anybody who speaks their opinion on anything.

Again, I didn't mean to "force" anyone to do or think anything. I meant
"win them over" and I thought using "coerce" would be poetic and funny.
Guess not.

So I apologize to anyone who took that wrong. I like to use hyperbole
and dry humor when I am talking with people face to face, because they
can see the twinkle in my eye and my slight grin as I release the
words, and they think it's funny. But I forget that when I write, no
one can see my face, no one can see that I'm a nice guy, and some
people take it wrongly.

And no, Melynda, if the Palouse were saturated with Bible-followers you
or no one else would be run out of town on a rail, because we would all
have had our hearts turned toward God and we would all have received
His forgiveness and restitution. Before God's law every one of us
deserves to be "run out of town on a rail", but He has offered us
forgiveness and restitution, and the choice to accept them or not.

That is what I wish I could "coerce" the Palouse into-- God's
forgiveness, and restitution, and the resulting love that would
permeate all of our interactions with others.

--Apple-Mail-34-82250557

I am guessing I had better clarify one more thing I said... I used one
word of hyperbole that some may not have

realized was hyperbole.

When I said "I wish I could coerce everyone in the Palouse to use the
Bible as their owners manual for life.", I meant

"coerce" as hyperbole.  The context of the paragraph was "taking over
the Palouse" which is funny because it implies armed force.  So.. I
threw in the word "coerce", as a tongue-in-cheek reference to "taking
over the Palouse".

Of course, I didn't mean I wish I could <italic>physically
force</italic> everyone to follow the Bible, against their will!  I