[Vision2020] Ted's answer to Eric E.

Tbertruss@aol.com Tbertruss@aol.com
Thu, 27 May 2004 17:45:14 EDT

--part1_d7.ba3f826.2de7bb6a_boundary

Eric:

Am I trying to fool anyone in my comments about religion and spirituality?
Do I follow a priest?  Do I chant mantras?  The other non-religious but
"spiritual" people I referenced do not engage in these sorts of behaviors!

How do you know what my spiritual life consists of?  Do you think it is based
on priests and mantras?  What makes you think it might be?  It seems you are
revealing the dogma and reliance on authority figures and rituals that
underlies your socially/politcally organized absolutist belief system, and imposing
it on others.

I know other Christian's though, who go to church, who embody both religion
in the organized sense and a deep spirituality, who I do feel a spiritual
connection with, who respect my differing views on these issues.

Sorry to be so uncharitable, but I can guarantee I will not attempt to reveal
to you the reality of my spirituality.  It is clear there would be no serious
attempt at empathy on your side.

If I am wrong, you can start by withdrawing this statement:

"If it makes you feel better about yourself, call yourself non-religious--
but the only people you're fooling are the other non-religious people repeating
their mantras, and
following their priests."

Enough of this today!

Ted Moffett

--part1_d7.ba3f826.2de7bb6a_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
Eric:<BR>
<BR>
Am I trying to fool anyone in my comments about religion and spirituality?&n=
bsp; Do I follow a priest?&nbsp; Do I chant mantras?&nbsp; The other non-rel=
igious but "spiritual" people I referenced do not engage in these sorts of b=
ehaviors!<BR>
<BR>
How do you know what my spiritual life consists of?&nbsp; Do you think it is=
 based on priests and mantras?&nbsp; What makes you think it might be?&nbsp;=
 It seems you are revealing the dogma and reliance on authority figures and=20=
rituals that underlies your socially/politcally organized absolutist belief=20=
system, and imposing it on others.<BR>
<BR>
I know other Christian's though, who go to church, who embody both religion=20=
in the organized sense and a deep spirituality, who I do feel a spiritual co=
nnection with, who respect my differing views on these issues.<BR>
<BR>
Sorry to be so uncharitable, but I can guarantee I will not attempt to revea=
l to you the reality of my spirituality.&nbsp; It is clear there would be no=
 serious attempt at empathy on your side.<BR>
<BR>
If I am wrong, you can start by withdrawing this statement: <BR>
<BR>
"If it makes you feel better about yourself, call yourself non-religious-- b=
ut the only people you're fooling are the other non-religious people repeati=
ng their mantras, and <BR>
following their priests."<BR>
<BR>
Enough of this today!<BR>