[Vision2020] Wilson is not a great mind

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Thu, 27 May 2004 10:26:36 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C443D5.1735E6C0

Melynda writes:

>Fears about domination or conquest in Moscow--of a particular person or =20
>denomination "taking over"--arise from a conviction that there's some de=
sire =20
>to take over, and that such a conquest would harm our community and its =20
>members.  Debate doesn't change that perception:  you can't argue someon=
e =20
>into feeling safe, or coerce her into trusting you.  This is one of the =20
>reasons religious conflict is so intransigent.

A point that might be extended to our current difficulties in Iraq, i.e.,=
 you can't create democracy at gun point.  But back to local matters . . =
 =20

Doug Wilson has discussed at length his intention of "changing the comple=
xion" of the Palouse.  In fact, he has repeatedly talked about the Wilson=
ification (I won't say Christianization as I think the two are separate a=
nd distinct) of this region as if it were inevitable.  Eric, in an email =
some months past, made the rather astonishing claim that the various Wils=
on family churches constitute the fastest-growing religious movement on t=
he Palouse.  When you make these growth and ascendency claims, can you be=
 surprised that you raise the hackles of those who dissent from your poli=
tical, religious, and/or world views?

BTW, I've never claimed to have no religion.  John Lennon I am not, thoug=
h I suspect that our respective political and philosophical compasses ten=
d in the same direction.  (Well, except for that Yoko business.  I don't =
get that.  Who the hell told that woman she could sing?  Linda McCartney?=
)  The difference -- one of many -- between me and Doug Wilson is that I =
am unlikely to ask the Moscow City Council to ban pork chops and cheesebu=
rgers because they conflict with Kosher dietary laws.  I have not written=
 extensively about the inferiority, violence, and humorlessness of Reform=
ed Christians.  I have not suggested that men, as the weaker sex, should =
be denied the vote.  I don't think that the Palouse would be a better, fi=
ner, more Godly place if everyone living here worshipped my God, accepted=
 my moral dictates, and followed exactly my plan for salvation.  If that'=
s what I wanted, I'd live on a Kibbutz.  Instead, here I am, another putz=
 on the Palouse.  =20

As Melynda explains, though religion might inform or even shape one's wor=
ldview, the two are not one and the same.  Variety is the spice of life, =
and I'm happy to find that I am simpatico with people as varied in their =
religion/philosophy as the brilliant secularist, Ted Moffet, and my favor=
ite erudite Evangelical, Keely Mix.  I have said it before and I will say=
 it again, there is room for all of us on the Palouse, but I am *not* goi=
ng to do what Doug says.  In much the same way that Eric has conflated re=
ligion with worldview, Doug has mistaken disobedience for intolerance.

An iconoclast?  You betcha,

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment    =20

    =20

 Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn=
com

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C443D5.1735E6C0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>Melynda writes=
:</DIV> <DIV><BR>&gt;Fears about domination or conquest in Moscow--of a p=
articular person or <BR>&gt;denomination "taking over"--arise from a conv=
iction that there's some desire <BR>&gt;to take over, and that such a con=
quest would harm our community and its <BR>&gt;members.&nbsp; Debate does=
n't change that perception:&nbsp; you can't argue someone <BR>&gt;into fe=
eling safe, or coerce her into trusting you.&nbsp; This is one of the <BR=
>&gt;reasons religious conflict is so intransigent.<BR></DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;=
</DIV> <DIV>A point that might be extended to our current difficulties in=
 Iraq, i.e., you can't create democracy at gun point.&nbsp; But back to l=
ocal matters . . . </DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Doug Wilson has discusse=
d at length his intention of "changing the complexion" of the Palouse.&nb=
sp; In fact, he has repeatedly talked about the Wilsonification (I won't =
say Christianization as I think the two are separate and distinct) of thi=
s region as if it were inevitable.&nbsp; Eric, in an email some months pa=
st, made the rather astonishing claim that the various Wilson family chur=
ches constitute the fastest-growing religious movement on the Palouse.&nb=
sp; When you make these growth and ascendency claims, can you be surprise=
d that you raise&nbsp;the hackles of those who dissent from your politica=
l, religious, and/or world views?</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>BTW, I've =
never claimed to have no religion.&nbsp; John Lennon I am not,&nbsp;thoug=
h I suspect that&nbsp;our respective political and philosophical compasse=
s&nbsp;tend&nbsp;in the same&nbsp;direction.&nbsp; (Well, except for that=
 Yoko business.&nbsp; I don't get that.&nbsp; Who the hell told that woma=
n she could sing?&nbsp; Linda McCartney?)&nbsp; The difference -- one of =
many -- between me and Doug Wilson is that I am unlikely to ask the Mosco=
w City Council to ban pork chops and cheeseburgers because they conflict =
with Kosher dietary laws.&nbsp; I have not written extensively about the =
inferiority, violence, and humorlessness&nbsp;of Reformed Christians.&nbs=
p; I have not suggested that men, as the weaker sex, should be denied the=
 vote.&nbsp; I don't think that the Palouse would be a better, finer,&nbs=
p;more Godly place if everyone living here worshipped my God, accepted my=
 moral&nbsp;dictates, and&nbsp;followed exactly my plan for salvation.&nb=
sp; If that's what I wanted, I'd live on a Kibbutz.&nbsp; Instead, here&n=
bsp;I am, another putz on the&nbsp;Palouse.&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;=
</DIV> <DIV>As Melynda explains, though religion might inform or even sha=
pe one's&nbsp;worldview, the two are not&nbsp;one and the same.&nbsp; Var=
iety is the spice of life, and I'm happy to find that I am simpatico&nbsp=
;with people as&nbsp;varied in their religion/philosophy as the brilliant=
 secularist, Ted Moffet, and my favorite erudite Evangelical, Keely Mix.&=
nbsp; I have said it before and I will say it again, there is room for al=
l of us on the Palouse, but I am *not* going to do what Doug says.&nbsp;&=
nbsp;In much the same way that Eric has conflated religion with worldview=
, Doug has&nbsp;mistaken disobedience&nbsp;for intolerance.</DIV> <DIV>&n=
bsp;</DIV> <DIV>An iconoclast?&nbsp;&nbsp;You betcha,</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</=
DIV> <DIV>Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </DIV> <DIV>&n=
bsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nb=
sp;<BR></DIV></BODY></HTML><br clear=3Dall><hr>Get more from the Web.  FR=
EE MSN Explorer download : <a href=3D'http://explorer.msn.com'>http://exp=

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C443D5.1735E6C0--