[Vision2020] Paul Kimmell: Trading Trees for Starbucks (was An Annual Tradition)

Saundra Lund sslund@adelphia.net
Sat, 22 May 2004 13:15:23 -0700

Don Coombs <mushroom@moscow.com> wrote:
"It is about time to discover that it is too late in the season to put in
replacement trees in the strip in front of the Palouse Mall. Or maybe it
will have to be delayed because the owner of the property, the university,
is thinking of selling it?"

Well, golly gee . . . I don't know why you're so upset about this.

According to Latah County Commissioner/Moscow Chamber of Commerce Executive
Director/Wilson World-Christ Church et al member/advocate (wearing his
Chamber hat, I guess):
"It was very unfortunate when the mall tree issue blew up and way out of
proportion," Kimmell said. . . "I was disappointed the issue took on such
huge criminal proportions.  I think the Palouse Mall today looks as good as
it ever has.  Clean, neat, lots of good parking and a Starbucks."

That's an interesting perspective, don't you think?  Who CARES that laws
were broken and we lost mature landscaping -- we've got a Starbucks!

I sure hope everyone remembers this perspective if Kimmell chooses to run
for re-election for his Commission seat.

With respect to resolution, according to Dahlia Smith, the soon-to-be-former
(she's retiring after about 14 years in the position) marketing director of
the mall:
"I think it's resolved," she said.  "The mall is working on landscaping and
everything will fall into place."

I don't think I'll be holding my breath . . . I'd have been dead several
years ago!

The above quotes are courtesy of Murf Raquet's Biz Bits column in the
weekend (5/22-23/2004) Moscow-Pullman Daily News.

HTH,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.
-Edmund Burke

Here it is May 21 and clearly about time for the traditional sticking it
in the ear of Moscow citizens in connection with--

It is about time to discover that it is too late in the season to put in
replacement trees in the strip in front of the Palouse Mall. Or maybe it
will have to be delayed because the owner of the property, the
university, is thinking of selling it?

Anxious citizens want to know.

I would really, really like to be wrong about this.

Don Coombs