[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter

The UI Friday Letter thansen@moscow.com
Fri, 21 May 2004 15:00:14 GMT

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends
May 21, 2004

Here's the latest news at the University of Idaho:
* UI honored students earning bachelor's, master's, doctoral and
law degrees at its 109th commencement ceremony here last Saturday
morning, but it was the 34 students commissioned into the U.S.
Armed Forces who received the loudest accolades. As the name of
the last new officer was read, the entire audience as well as all
of the graduates rose in a standing ovation and extended applause.
The students, who sported formal military dress uniforms instead
of the traditional caps and gowns, were commissioned as second
lieutenants or ensigns after completing Reserve Officers' Training
Corps requirements.

Altogether, 1,878 students earned their degrees, according to UI's
Interim President Gary Michael, who congratulated and thanked the
institution's student body. "I have been energized by their
enthusiasm, excitement and vision for the future," he said. Michael,
too, was honored with the UI Alumni Association's most prestigious
award - the Distinguished Idahoan Award - for serving as interim
president without compensation for the past year. He is just the
seventh person to receive that award since its inception in 1978.

Michael welcomed UI's incoming president, Tim White, who also
participated in the commencement ceremony. The new president, who
assumes his new responsibilities in July, said commencement is "the
most important day on the academic calendar." White told the
graduates to "be grateful, be proud and be powerful. I know you
will give to society with high integrity, high passion and high
compassion."

Sharon Allen of Los Angeles, an accounting alumna and CEO of the
international accounting firm Deloitte & Touche, was the featured
speaker. The first woman to hold that position, she was named one
of the Top 100 Most Influential People in 2003 by Accounting Today.
Allen also was one of four honorary doctorate degree recipients.
Other recipients included: Scott R. Simplot of Boise, chairman of
the board of the J.R. Simplot Co., a leading agribusiness company
for potatoes, turf grass and cattle; Karen Stedtfeld Offen of
Woodside, Calif., an historian, scholar and authority on women's
history and European and American feminism; and James E. Rogers of
Las Vegas, a champion of excellence in higher education and
philanthropist recently named interim chancellor of the Nevada
higher education system.

* Jay D. Kenton, a finance professional with more than 20 years of
experience in higher education, is UI's new vice president for
finance and administration. Kenton has served at Portland State
University for 16 years, the past two as vice president for finance
and administration. He is president-elect of the Western Association
of College and University Business Officers and a member of the
Board of Directors of that organization and the National Association
of College and University Business Officers. "Jay brings a wealth
of experience and a deep understanding of higher education finance
and public policy to this position," said President-designate Tim
White. "He has been successful in helping Portland State University
work through issues similar to those facing the University of Idaho.
We have worked simultaneously on higher education issues in Oregon,
and I appreciate his energy and no-nonsense approach to innovative
and strategic problem solving. Dr. Kenton will be a key member of
the leadership team as we attract, align and responsibly distribute
our resources for academic excellence. I look forward to launching
my administration with him as part of the team."

For more information about these items, please contact University
Communications and Marketing at (208) 885-6291 or
uinews@uidaho.edu.

           http://www.fsr.net/