[Vision2020] Colonial House

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@msn.com
Thu, 20 May 2004 10:12:28 -0700

I caught a little of *Colonial House* the other night, but was struck much
more powerfully by the way the "Governor," the Baptist minister, handled his
family responsibilities than by his wife and daughter.  When his son was
seriously injured in the car wreck that killed his daughter's fiance, he
abandoned his family after only five days so he could get back to the
filming of the television program.   I also noticed that he really seemed to
relish handing out the shaming letters and the staking out time--until he
realized that his enthusiastic punishment of colonists was seriously
interfering with the work of the colony.  What a dilemma!  Punish as much as
I know they deserve, or have something to eat?

Of course, my religious forebearers, the early Quakers, were routinely
whipped, branded, imprisoned, and even executed for their religious beliefs
by Puritan governors who enjoyed their jobs as much as he's enjoying his, so
I'm prejudiced.

And let's not forget to thank PBS for providing shame-free, high-brow
reality tv for folks who wouldn't dream of watching "Extreme Makeover"!

Melynda Huskey