[Vision2020] IQ or EQ

Melynda Huskey mghuskey@msn.com
Tue, 18 May 2004 10:26:15 -0700

Pat writes:

>I do have a high IQ but found the high EQ helped me more to acutally get
>through
>life. Ted Kazinski had a high IQ but could not live in our world so it
>gained him only a sad, lonely >cell. I do hope this lays to rest any more
>talk of IQ for anyone.

Emotional intelligence (EI), defined by Mayer, Salovey, & Caruso as "the
ability to perceive and express emotion, assimilate emotion in thought,
understand and reason with emotion, and regulate emotion in the self and
others," is sometimes also correlated with Gardner's interpersonal
intelligence.  Key components in both are accurate self-assessment, empathy,
emotional self-control, visionary leadership, conflict management, teamwork
and collaboration, trustworthiness, and adaptability.  (Cherniss & Goleman,
2001).

Another significant competency:  a sense of humor, particularly as expressed
in self-deprecating humor which empowers others.

Folks with both high intelligence and well-developed emotional intelligence
are profoundly gifted.  They are visionary and transformative leaders,
expert communicators, and superb negotiators.  They generally rise to the
top of any organization and have fiercely loyal employees and highly
successful organizations.

Wearing her organizational development hat,

Melynda Huskey