[Vision2020] Re: NSA student scores, Mr. Gier

Eric Engerbretson eric@eric-e.com
Mon, 17 May 2004 16:11:34 -0700

--Apple-Mail-4--845887478

On May 14, 2004, at 4:00 PM, Tbertruss@aol.com wrote:

>  When I find evidence that some NSA students are showing independence=20=

> of thought enough to challenge the prevailing thinking at NSA=20
> regarding women's or gay rights, to pick two salient issues, I will=20
> acknowledge the education being promoted there is worthy of the term=20=

> "higher education."=A0 In the meantime, I don''t care how high the =
test=20
> scores are or how many doctorates pad down the halls.=A0 Open minded=20=

> inquiry where all arguments and viewpoints well presented receive a=20
> fair hearing is not necessarily dependent on test scores or IQs or=20
> PhDs.
>
>  Are there any NSA students receiving academic awards for well=20
> reasoned arguments promoting gay rights or feminism, even from a=20
> Christian Biblical orientation?=A0 Such arguments do exist in the =
world=20
> of Christian scholarship.
>
>  Evidence of this would perhaps persuade me to regard NSA as more than=20=

> an institution of high brow religious propaganda.
>
>  Are the students filtered out before they are accepted into NSA to=20
> assure a certain conformity of viewpoint?=A0 And does not this=20
> limitation of diversity (oh dear, not that word again!) impact the=20
> capability for NSA to provide an education about the whole world as=20
> people really live it, Christian and Jew, Muslim and Hindu, Buddhist,=20=

> atheist and agnostic?
>
>  Prove me wrong!
>
>  Ted Moffet

Ted, you won't find NSA students promoting gay rights or your=20
understanding of "women's rights" because what they are selling is a=20
Christian education based on a specific (although worldwide and=20
scholarly) interpretation of the Bible. It is a religious education.=20
But to then say that therefore it is not a "higher education" but a=20
lower form of education is simply you putting your religious dogma and=20=

propaganda on them.  You would be the first to say that people should=20
never impose their religious dogma on others-- but those words can't=20
pass your lips without you doing the same thing as you speak.  So your=20=

"neutral" schools that are preaching a certain religious idea of=20
sexuality and a certain religious idea of maleness and femaleness, are=20=

just as religious as NSA-- it's just a religion based on the myth of=20
neutrality.  It is time to wake up and realize that everyone has a=20
worldview, and even the worldview that all worldviews are equally valid=20=

is a worldview! We're all religious, aware of it or not!

Everyone will go to the school that is closest to the religion that=20
makes them feel comfortable, whether that is Berkely, MIT or Bob Jones.=20=

But if you want to measure schools for quality, you have to use=20
objective standards!  You can't hand out the trophies at a college=20
track meet based on runner's opinions on sexuality. You use a=20
stopwatch. Same with judging a college.  You test them on the three=20
"R's" and the specifications of their major.  But puhleez stop=20
pretending that modern humanism isn't religious.

Of course, NSA isn't providing a balanced education. That is because=20
there is no college on earth that does. Every faculty has leanings and=20=

every curricula has biases.  Do you really think that the NSA students=20=

haven't heard most of the "arguments and viewpoints" that a "balanced=20
education" would give them?  Those "arguments and viewpoints" are the=20
very reason they picked NSA. It is because they understand those things=20=

that they chose a school that agrees with the choices they have made.

I met a U of I student in March who was going to graduate this spring=20
who was bragging to me that he had never read a whole book, and didn't=20=

intend to.  He said he hated reading, and a person nowadays could be an=20=

educated person simply by going to college and watching TV. He said it=20=

was actually his goal to finish his bachelor's degree without having to=20=

read a whole book, and he knew he would succeed, and, boy, was he=20
modern and proud.  Somehow I would be inclined to trust the "breadth"=20
of education of an NSA student more than that of this fellow.

The people who are really getting suckered by snake oil salesmen are=20
the folks who think they are getting a balanced education.  So go ahead=20=

and mock the NSAers all you want. They really don't care-- they're too=20=

busy reading.

Cordially,

Eric E.

--Apple-Mail-4--845887478