[Vision2020] Wal-Mart: radio-freq. merchandise(and purchaser) ID tags

Tim Lohrmann timlohr@yahoo.com
Mon, 17 May 2004 10:17:36 -0700 (PDT)

--0-373350578-1084814256=:39874

> [...]
> its stores are harmless since they contain nothing more than
> identification numbers. "While technically that's true, Wal-Mart fails
> to explain what it means for items to carry remote-readable unique ID
> numbers. It's like saying someone's social security number is 'only' a
> number, so sharing it with perfect strangers should be of no concern."
>
> Albrecht explains that many major retailers today routinely link
> shoppers' identity information from credit, ATM and "loyalty" cards with
> product bar code numbers to record individuals' purchases over time. "If
> nothing is done to stop it, the same will happen with the unique RFID
> numbers on products. This means that if retailers can read an RFID tag
> on a product they previously sold you, they can identify you as you walk
> in the door and even pinpoint your location in their store as you shop,"
> she said.
>
> Albrecht also criticizes Wal-Mart for failing to tell consumers of the
> retailer's long-term goals for RFID. "The industry plan is to put an
> RFID tag on every product on Earth to identify and locate them at any
> time, anywhere. Wal-Mart is taking the first steps to creating a society
> where everything could be surveilled at all times. A shopper would
> hardly learn this by reading their website."
>
> With potentially billions of dollars riding on RFID, global corporations
> are eager to see it deployed. However, consumer acceptance has proved to
> be an obstacle.
>
> Procter & Gamble's own research suggests that 78 percent of consumers
> surveyed reacted negatively to the technology on privacy grounds and did
> not find industry reassurances compelling. Another industry study,
> published in January 2003, found similar misgivings among focus groups
> of consumers in the U.S., Germany, France, Japan and the UK.
>
> The most publicized trial of item-level RFID tagging to date, Metro-AG's
> "Future Store" in Rheinberg, Germany, met with massive consumer outcry
> earlier this year, culminating in a protest outside the store.
>
> "Wal-Mart may soon be facing a similar backlash," said Albrecht.

> The press has already begun to pick up the story:
>
> The Register, UK: "Wal-Mart attracts further RFID flak"
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/12/wal_mart_rfid_flak/

> CASPIAN (Consumers Against Supermarket Privacy Invasion and Numbering)
> is a grass-roots consumer group fighting retail surveillance schemes
> since 1999, and item-level RFID tagging since 2002. With members in all
> 50 U.S. states and over 30 nations across the globe, CASPIAN seeks to
> educate consumers about marketing strategies that invade their privacy
> and to encourage privacy-conscious shopping habits across the retail
> spectrum.
>
> CASPIAN is guided by free market principles. Rather than look to
> lawmakers for solutions to the consumer privacy problem, we call on
> consumers to reject privacy-invading practices so that they fail in the

<DIV><BR>&gt; FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE from CASPIAN(Consumers Against Supermarket Privacy Invasion and Numbering,) a grassroots consumer group fighting retail surveillance schemes since 1999, and item level RFID tagging since 2002. <BR>&gt;www.nocards.org and www. spychips.com<BR>&gt; May 11, 2004<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Wal-Mart Tries New PR Spin to Accompany Item-level RFID Tagging<BR>&gt; "Selling the technology with partial truths is unethical," says CASPIAN<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Despite widespread consumer opposition, Wal-Mart began item-level RFID<BR>&gt; (radio frequency identification) tagging of consumer goods last week as<BR>&gt; part of a trial in Texas. In an apparent effort to minimize the backlash<BR>&gt; to its use of RFID tags, Wal-Mart has also begun a public relations<BR>&gt; campaign to promote the technology that some are calling unethical.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Shoppers at seven Dallas-Ft. Worth area Wal-Mart stores can walk into<BR>&gt; the consumer electronics department and!
  find
 Hewlett-Packard products<BR>&gt; for sale with live RFID tags attached. Wal-Mart's public statements<BR>&gt; appear to leave open the possibility that other goods could be tagged<BR>&gt; with RFID as well.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; The giant retailer's decision to tag individual items on the store floor<BR>&gt; violates a call for a moratorium on such tagging issued last November by<BR>&gt; over 40 of the world's most respected privacy and civil liberties<BR>&gt; organizations. The move has sparked sharp criticism by the privacy<BR>&gt; community.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; "Wal-Mart is blatantly ignoring the research and recommendations of<BR>&gt; dozens of privacy experts," says&nbsp; Katherine Albrecht, Founder and<BR>&gt; Director of CASPIAN (Consumers Against Supermarket Privacy Invasion and<BR>&gt; Numbering). "When the world's largest retailer adopts a technology with<BR>&gt; chilling societal implications, and does so irresponsibly, we should all<BR>&gt; be deeply concerned."<BR>&gt;<BR!
 >&gt; In
 addition to violating the call for a moratorium on RFID-tagged items<BR>&gt; in stores, Wal-Mart has begun a consumer education campaign that CASPIAN<BR>&gt; is calling unethical.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; "Read the FAQs at the Wal-Mart corporate web site and you'll find plenty<BR>&gt; of half truths," Albrecht says. "They call it consumer education, but<BR>&gt; the omissions and spin make it feel more like a calculated<BR>&gt; disinformation campaign."<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Albrecht provides the example of Wal-Mart's statement that RFID tags in<BR>&gt; its stores are harmless since they contain nothing more than<BR>&gt; identification numbers. "While technically that's true, Wal-Mart fails<BR>&gt; to explain what it means for items to carry remote-readable unique ID<BR>&gt; numbers. It's like saying someone's social security number is 'only' a<BR>&gt; number, so sharing it with perfect strangers should be of no concern."<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Albrecht explains that many major retailers today ro!
 utinely
 link<BR>&gt; shoppers' identity information from credit, ATM and "loyalty" cards with<BR>&gt; product bar code numbers to record individuals' purchases over time. "If<BR>&gt; nothing is done to stop it, the same will happen with the unique RFID<BR>&gt; numbers on products. This means that if retailers can read an RFID tag<BR>&gt; on a product they previously sold you, they can identify you as you walk<BR>&gt; in the door and even pinpoint your location in their store as you shop,"<BR>&gt; she said.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Albrecht also criticizes Wal-Mart for failing to tell consumers of the<BR>&gt; retailer's long-term goals for RFID. "The industry plan is to put an<BR>&gt; RFID tag on every product on Earth to identify and locate them at any<BR>&gt; time, anywhere. Wal-Mart is taking the first steps to creating a society<BR>&gt; where everything could be surveilled at all times. A shopper would<BR>&gt; hardly learn this by reading their website."<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; With potentially !
 billions
 of dollars riding on RFID, global corporations<BR>&gt; are eager to see it deployed. However, consumer acceptance has proved to<BR>&gt; be an obstacle.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; Procter &amp; Gamble's own research suggests that 78 percent of consumers<BR>&gt; surveyed reacted negatively to the technology on privacy grounds and did<BR>&gt; not find industry reassurances compelling. Another industry study,<BR>&gt; published in January 2003, found similar misgivings among focus groups<BR>&gt; of consumers in the U.S., Germany, France, Japan and the UK.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; The most publicized trial of item-level RFID tagging to date, Metro-AG's<BR>&gt; "Future Store" in Rheinberg, Germany, met with massive consumer outcry<BR>&gt; earlier this year, culminating in a protest outside the store.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; "Wal-Mart may soon be facing a similar backlash," said Albrecht.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; ==========================================================<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; The press has already begun to !
 pick up
 the story:<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; The Register, UK: "Wal-Mart attracts further RFID flak"<BR>&gt; <A href="http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/12/wal_mart_rfid_flak/" target=_blank eudora="autourl">http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/05/12/wal_mart_rfid_flak/</A><BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; ==========================================================<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; CASPIAN (Consumers Against Supermarket Privacy Invasion and Numbering)<BR>&gt; is a grass-roots consumer group fighting retail surveillance schemes<BR>&gt; since 1999, and item-level RFID tagging since 2002. With members in all<BR>&gt; 50 U.S. states and over 30 nations across the globe, CASPIAN seeks to<BR>&gt; educate consumers about marketing strategies that invade their privacy<BR>&gt; and to encourage privacy-conscious shopping habits across the retail<BR>&gt; spectrum.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; CASPIAN is guided by free market principles. Rather than look to<BR>&gt; lawmakers for solutions to the consumer privacy problem, we call on<BR>&!
 gt;
 consumers to reject privacy-invading practices so that they fail in the<BR>&gt; marketplace.<BR>&gt;<BR>&gt; For more information, see<BR>&gt; <A href="http://www.spychips.com/" target=_blank eudora="autourl">http://www.spychips.com</A><BR>&gt; and<BR>&gt; <A href="http://www.nocards.org/" target=_blank eudora="autourl">http://www.nocards.org</A><BR>&gt;<BR></DIV><p>
--0-373350578-1084814256=:39874--