[Vision2020] shock and awe: Draft?

Tbertruss@aol.com Tbertruss@aol.com
Sat, 15 May 2004 18:25:47 EDT

--part1_9b.47e89aeb.2dd7f2eb_boundary

Roger:

Everyone who pays taxes to the feds and/or votes is connected in however
small or large a way with the activities of our military all over the world.  We
buy the bombs and bullets, pay the salaries of the interrogators, and chose the
representatives in government who authorize the war, etc.  These events are
therefore local/national/international at once, and all share some
responsibility, however much I'd rather not face what this really means!

The insistence on keeping a sharp delineation between local and non-local
issues is only valid with some concerns, and is becoming increasingly more
irrelevant as our world heads more and more towards an interconnected global
reality.

Consider that it is possible a draft may be reinstated to cope with the
demands of the US war effort.  Young men and women from the Palouse could be chosen
by force of law to die on foreign soil in the war effort.  If the possible
death of local residents is not a local concern, I don't know what would be.

Ted Moffett

--part1_9b.47e89aeb.2dd7f2eb_boundary

=3D"SANSSERIF" FACE=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0"><BR>
Roger:<BR>
<BR>
Everyone who pays taxes to the feds and/or votes is connected in however sma=
ll or large a way with the activities of our military all over the world.&nb=
sp; We buy the bombs and bullets, pay the salaries of the interrogators, and=
 chose the representatives in government who authorize the war, etc.&nbsp; T=
hese events are therefore local/national/international at once, and all shar=
e some responsibility, however much I'd rather not face what this really mea=
ns!&nbsp; <BR>
<BR>
The insistence on keeping a sharp delineation between local and non-local is=
sues is only valid with some concerns, and is becoming increasingly more irr=
elevant as our world heads more and more towards an interconnected global re=
ality.<BR>
<BR>
Consider that it is possible a draft may be reinstated to cope with the dema=
nds of the US war effort.&nbsp; Young men and women from the Palouse could b=
e chosen by force of law to die on foreign soil in the war effort.&nbsp; If=20=
the possible death of local residents is not a local concern, I don't know w=
hat would be.<BR>
<BR>
Ted Moffett</FONT></HTML>

--part1_9b.47e89aeb.2dd7f2eb_boundary--