[Vision2020] Outrage and Nicholas Berg

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Fri, 14 May 2004 18:50:09 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C439E4.4807BD50

To answer Pat's question, outrage is not the correct word for what I thin=
k and feel about Nicholas Berg's murder.  Disgust, revulsion, horror -- t=
hat's what I feel because that's what I always feel when I learn of a bru=
tal crime.  I am sorry for Mr. Berg's family, and I hope that his killers=
 are brought to justice.
Unlike those killers, however, I refuse to recognize the eye-for-an-eye r=
ationale implicit in trying to link what they did to Mr. Berg and our own=
 tragic lapses at Abu Ghraib.  Just as they cannot be allowed to claim th=
at beheading civilians is a legitimate response to our abuse of Iraqi pri=
soners, we cannot let Mr. Berg's murder serve as a cover for our mistakes=
  The United States is a signatory to the Geneva Conventions, a democrac=
y, and, ideally, a nation of laws.  If we win the war on terror by settin=
g fire to our values, what have we gained?
Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment            Get more from the Web.  FREE MS=
N Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C439E4.4807BD50

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><P>To answer Pat's =
question, outrage is not the correct word for what I think and feel about=
 Nicholas Berg's murder.&nbsp; Disgust, revulsion, horror -- that's what =
I feel because that's what&nbsp;I always feel when I learn of a brutal cr=
ime.&nbsp; I am sorry for Mr. Berg's family, and I hope that his killers =
are brought to justice.</P> <P>Unlike those killers, however, I refuse to=
 recognize the eye-for-an-eye rationale&nbsp;implicit in trying to link w=
hat they&nbsp;did to Mr. Berg and our own tragic lapses at&nbsp;Abu Ghrai=
b.&nbsp;&nbsp;Just as they cannot be allowed to claim that beheading civi=
lians is a legitimate response to our abuse of Iraqi prisoners, we cannot=
 let&nbsp;Mr. Berg's murder serve as a cover for our&nbsp;mistakes.&nbsp;=
&nbsp;The United States is a signatory to the Geneva Conventions,&nbsp;a =
democracy, and, ideally,&nbsp;a nation of laws.&nbsp;&nbsp;If we win the =
war on terror by setting fire to&nbsp;our values, what have we gained?</P=
> <P>Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&n=
bsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </P></BODY></HTML><br clear=3Dall><hr>Get mo=
re from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : <a href=3D'http://explorer=

------=_NextPart_001_0001_01C439E4.4807BD50--