[Vision2020] FW: US Senate Considers Parity Bill Beginning May 13 -- TODAY

Saundra Lund sslund@adelphia.net
Thu, 13 May 2004 11:01:49 -0700

Visionaries:

For those concerned about the LACK of mental health parity (which would
require equal coverage of mental health benefits for health insurance
coverage unless comparable limitations are imposed on medical and surgical
benefits) in this country, I ***urge*** you to make time TODAY to call
Senators Craig and Crapo to ask that they support the Paul Wellstone Mental
Health Parity Act (SB 486) and vote *against* the Gregg cost amendment.

I don't typically forward things to this forum, but this is an issue I feel
strongly about.  Hubert Horatio Humphrey once said, "The moral test of
government is how it treats those who are in the dawn of life -- the
children; those who are in the twilight of life -- the aged; and those who
are in the shadows of life -- the sick, the needy and the handicapped."
>From personal experience, I can tell you that with respect to mental health,
our children and those who are ill have been getting the short end of the
stick for far too long.

Federal mental health parity would be a *huge* long overdue stride towards
addressing some of this country's shameful issues regarding mental health
access in this country.

Not surprisingly, neither Senator Craig nor Crapo are on the list of
Republican co-sponsors of the Wellstone bill  :-(  I like to think it's
simply because they are just plain ignorant about the matter and calls from
"home" will make them understand the importance of this issue.

I'm terribly sorry for the short notice, but I just today received
notification of today's debate.  Please take time to make the calls TODAY
(there's a toll-free number in the message below) if you support Mental
Health Parity.

Thanks,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID