[Vision2020] Shocked!

Tom Hansen thansen@moscow.com
Thu, 13 May 2004 06:16:01 -0700

Greetings Visionaires -

Although I may agree with Mr. Ferner's opinion of the latent disregard for
human dignity shown at Abu Ghraib prison, I totally disqualify his analogy
of that behavior and basic combat training conducted at Army installations.

Having completed basic combat training at Fort Ord, California (as did
hundreds of thousands before me and tens of thousands subsequently) I have
yet to sexually abuse or wrongfully violate another human being as a result
of that training.  Nor am I aware of evidence that such training develops
criminal and inhumane behavior to epidemic proportions.  The degree of
harshness evident in basic combat training has dramatically reduced since I
went through it in June 1969.

To associate such behavior with training conducted by the military well over
the past 150+ years is absolutely ludicrous.

One primary purpose of basic combat training is to convert a group of
civilian individuals into a military unit.  And what may be contrary to Ms.
Palmer's philosophy, this I seriously believe cannot be accomplished without
harshness.

If you do not believe that this is so . . . (as has been said so many times)
. . . "Talk to a Marine."

Pro patria,

Tom Hansen
SFC, US Army (Retired)