[Vision2020] Why are we in Iraq?

Tbertruss@aol.com Tbertruss@aol.com
Mon, 10 May 2004 22:58:44 -0400

Donovan:
You must know all the theories I give below.  So am I wasting my time?  Probably.
The world's oil is finite.  When it starts to run out there will be a world wide financial/social/political crisis.  The US wants to secure a major slice of the world's oil reserves for the long term.  The goal is not to make money or pump up oil supply in the short term.  Securing Iraq oil is a long term plan for oil supplies 50 or more years in the future.  Sounds incredible, like some far out conspiracy theory.  But the energy strategists know very well our energy orgy with cheap hydrocarbons will end with some nasty results if we don't seize oil supply.  Heck, it will be nasty no matter how you cut it!  It will be difficult to fuel the world economy, especially the energy greedy US economy, as we know it without all that easy energy.  Alternative energy will likely not be able to cheaply make up the difference.  No doubt if push comes to shove in the future our military will just take the oil we need by force and divy it up according to our "good" graces.  The War on Terror just gave us a good reason to do it now.
Another theory which I am very unsure of is the Israeli factor.Are we helping Israel by the war?
Also, if you can believe the PNAC strategists, we are remaking a part of the world that needs to be brought into the modern era of progressive western capitalist democracies.  This in theory will serve as an example for the rest of the middle east to spread democracy throughout the region.  Many think this is the best way to fight terrorism, to modernize, develop and bring prosperity to areas of the world living in poverty and oppression.  Quite a line of propaganda to swallow when we support brutal dictatorships in Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Pakistan etc.  And as we kill Muslims to bring freedom and democracy we are engaging in a recruitment drive for Muslim fundamentalist terrorists.  Some who support this view also really want to spread Christianity through the region, so the theory that this war has religious goals is not entirely out of the question.
Another common theory is that the War in Iraq pumps money into US corporations who supply weapons and military infrastructure support and civilian infrastructure rebuilding.  In other words, the war is great for corporate welfare!  This makes more sense than the idealistic "we are bringing democracy and freedom to the poor oppressed Iraq people" theory.
And can we forget the pride of the Bush clan?  Stories circulate that Saddam tried to take a contract out on Bush Sr.  And Bush Sr. has taken heat for not going all the way in Gulf War One.  Is this part of the motivation for Bush Jr. to have pushed for taking Saddam out as soon as he got into office, as reported by former Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill and others who worked in the White House?
There must be numerous other theories.
But we all know why:  Saddam was a bad man.  Bush made the bad man go away.  He is a good man!  I feel so much better now that Iraq is free!
Ted Moffett