[Vision2020] 05-08-04 NY Times: Mistreatment of Prisoners Is Called Rout...

Tbertruss@aol.com Tbertruss@aol.com
Sun, 9 May 2004 06:36:49 EDT

--part1_1e9.1fe0aa1c.2dcf63c1_boundary

Debbie:

Consider that the subject heading and content of my post yesterday, where I
referenced your comment "pity party for criminals," which I suspect hardly
anyone remembers from Jan. 04 on V2020, contained information about abuses of
prisoners here in the US, not just in Iraq.  Your original use of this phrase
"pity party for criminals" was in the context of a discussion on V2020 regarding
the competency and/or access to fair and proficient public defense in the
courts, focusing on one Greg Dickison, local PD.

My comments yesterday focused on abuses in US prisons that appear to not
generate the same moral outrage as the abuses in the US controlled prisons in
Iraq.  I was suggesting that the mentality that judges serious objections to the
justice system in the US to be an expression of a "pity party for criminals,"
is questionable, as I also raised the issue of racism, both in the US prison
system and in the treatment of Iraq prisoners by the US.  Note that I did not
quote you by name in the post yesterday.  But that phrase has such a terse ring,
it fit.

Indeed, I too was talking about sentencing during the two day period, January
6-8, 2004, when you originally used the phrase in question.  You made
comments, quoted at the bottom here, contradicting the position I took in Jan. 04
that public defense in the US is too often not sufficient to offer those with
limited resources a reasonable defense in court, leading to conviction of the
innocent.  I have placed the post where you used that phrase, and a particularly
barbed post you penned aimed at yours truly two days later, where you appear
to suggest there is no major problem with the system of public defense in the
US, at the bottom of this post for reference.

Your comment "pity party for criminals" seems to suggest that my concerns for
unfairness in sentencing regarding insufficient public defense in US courts
were somehow misplaced.  I stand by my original assessment that public defense
in the US justice system is far too often lacking, leading to conviction of
the innocent, and I do not agree that this perception is in any way described in
thought or feeling by the phrase "pity party for criminals."  Nor do I think
serious objections to the current abuses in US prisons, some of which are
described in the very article Wayne Fox posted to V2020 that I responded to
yesterday, should be described as a "pity party for criminals."

I applaud you on coming up with such a pithy pointed phrase, if it was your
invention.  And I am not saying you used this phrase in all the exact contexts
in which I use it above.  But you did use it in reference to sentencing in US
courts, and your response offered below does suggest you think there is no
major problem with the system of public defense in the US court system.

Your right, Debbie, I am uninformed and watch too much TV, etc.

Now, I'll give you a break, as you requested.  Read all the content at this
site:

http://www.innocenceproject.org

Thank you for your response.

Ted Moffett

[Vision2020] Public Defender Religious Issues
Debbie Gray dgray@uidaho.edu
Tue, 06 Jan 2004 18:20:07 -0800 (PST)