[Vision2020] Blessed be the ties that bind . . .

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment@hotmail.com
Tue, 23 Mar 2004 10:09:57 -0800

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C410BE.FEE86410

Amy writes:

>Joan, you correctly deride conservative America's most vocal spokesfolks=
--the hype-driven, >intellectually bankrupt talk-show types and commentat=
ors, because you want "substantive political >debate."  But you sometimes=
 mix in those who provide that substance, but with whom we disagree.  >Pa=
glia certainly (and Fox-Genovese probably-I'm not caught up here) provide=
 substantive debate.  >They are great folks to read and to disagree with-=
-they make us really work to refine our ideas, relying >not only on ideol=
ogy, but logic, facts, and interpretations of events and culture.  I just=
 don't see how >you can dismiss scholars like Paglia in the same way you =
dismiss the Rush-Limbaughs of the world.  >Yeah I disagree with Camille (=
and aint she a tramp), but she's brilliant and knowledgable and worthy of=
 >real debate and consideration.

It's true; Camille Paglia is not Rush Limbaugh.  You'll have to excuse me=
  My hyperbole is acting up again.  (Hitting self in head with small ham=
mer.)  That said, however, I think that Sexual Personae, the book that ma=
de Paglia famous, is wide-ranging but shallow.  Paglia knows a little abo=
ut a lot of things, which makes her both fun and infuriating to read.  In=
 the final analysis, though, is she a scholar or is she a dilettante?  Pu=
t her on the Susan Sontag scale (a woman Camille has been hounding for a =
decade, yelling, "Look at me, Susan!  Take me seriously!") and how does P=
aglia measure up?  She has a good mind; she also has a genius for self-pr=
omotion.  I think the latter has decidedly trumped the former.  She can't=
 decide if she wants to analyze Madonna or be her, and no one, but no one=
, has wanted to be Madonna since about 1991.

Paglia's mind wanders.  She gets off topic.  She's on the verge of making=
 an interesting point, and then something else darts across her viewing s=
creen and she's off.  She can't sustain a critique.  These are my complai=
nts about her, and they comprise the reason I largely dismiss her work --=
 but you're quite correct.  They are not the same as my complaints about =
Limbaugh.  The only connection between the two is that they're willing to=
 grotesquely oversimplify for the sake of playing in a shallow medium.  =20

Hookers, the pair of them . . . though one is quite clearly $1500 a night=
 and the other takes Green Stamps and penny rolls.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment    Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explor=
er download : http://explorer.msn.com

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C410BE.FEE86410

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>Amy writes:</D=
IV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&gt;Joan, you correctly deride conservative Am=
erica's most vocal spokesfolks--the hype-driven, &gt;intellectually bankr=
upt talk-show types and commentators, because you want "substantive polit=
ical &gt;debate."&nbsp; But you sometimes mix in those who provide that s=
ubstance, but with whom we disagree.&nbsp; &gt;Paglia certainly (and Fox-=
Genovese probably-I'm not caught up here) provide substantive debate.&nbs=
p; &gt;They are great folks to read and to disagree with--they make us re=
ally work to refine our ideas, relying &gt;not only on ideology, but logi=
c, facts, and interpretations of events and culture.&nbsp; I just don't s=
ee how &gt;you can dismiss scholars like Paglia in the same way you dismi=
ss the Rush-Limbaughs of the world.&nbsp; &gt;Yeah I disagree with Camill=
e (and aint she a tramp), but she's brilliant and knowledgable and worthy=
 of &gt;real debate and consideration.<BR></DIV> <DIV>It's true; Camille =
Paglia is not Rush Limbaugh.&nbsp; You'll have to excuse me.&nbsp;&nbsp;M=
y hyperbole is acting up again.&nbsp; (Hitting self in head with small ha=
mmer.)&nbsp; That said, however, I&nbsp;think that Sexual Personae, the b=
ook that made Paglia famous, is wide-ranging but shallow.&nbsp;&nbsp;Pagl=
ia knows a little about a&nbsp;lot of things, which&nbsp;makes her both f=
un and infuriating to read.&nbsp;&nbsp;In the final analysis, though, is =
she&nbsp;a scholar or is she a&nbsp;dilettante?&nbsp; Put her on the Susa=
n Sontag scale (a woman Camille has been hounding for a decade, yelling, =
"Look at me, Susan!&nbsp; Take me seriously!") and how does&nbsp;Paglia m=
easure up?&nbsp; She has a good mind; she also has&nbsp;a genius for self=
-promotion.&nbsp;&nbsp;I think the latter has decidedly trumped the forme=
r.&nbsp; She can't decide if she wants to analyze Madonna or be her, and =
no one, but no one, has wanted to be Madonna&nbsp;since about 1991.</DIV>=
 <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Paglia's mind wanders.&nbsp; She gets off topic.&=
nbsp; She's on the verge of making an interesting point, and then somethi=
ng else darts across her viewing screen and she's off.&nbsp; She can't su=
stain a critique.&nbsp; These are my complaints about&nbsp;her, and&nbsp;=
they comprise the reason I largely dismiss her work&nbsp;-- but you're qu=
ite correct.&nbsp; They are not the same as my complaints&nbsp;about Limb=
augh.&nbsp; The only connection between the two&nbsp;is that they're will=
ing to grotesquely oversimplify&nbsp;for the sake of playing in a shallow=
 medium.&nbsp;&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Hookers, the pair of th=
em . .&nbsp;. though&nbsp;one is quite clearly $1500&nbsp;a night and the=
 other&nbsp;takes&nbsp;Green Stamps and penny rolls.</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</D=
IV> <DIV>Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR></DIV>=
</BODY></HTML><br clear=3Dall><hr>Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explor=
er download : <a href=3D'http://explorer.msn.com'>http://explorer.msn.com=

------=_NextPart_001_0002_01C410BE.FEE86410--