[Vision2020] An Interesting Analogy

Tom Hansen thansen@moscow.com
Mon, 22 Mar 2004 18:22:49 -0800

Greetings Visionaires -

I came across a very interesting political cartoon in today's Spokesman
Review.  It presents what I didn't think was possible, a viable analogy
between the Iraq situation and the Vietnam War.

Footnote:  I heard on the news this morning that the Bush administration (I
don't recall the individual's name) is strongly considering delaying a
formal adaptation of the Iraqi "constitution" until at least January or
February when elections can be conducted, citing the uneasiness of the
current situation.

I mention this because it makes a great intro to the political cartoon which
I scanned and posted at:

http://www.tomandrodna.com/Iraq_Vn.jpg

Like I said a year ago, I was undecided then as to whether "liberating" Iraq
would be a good idea or not.  Regardless of those feelings, it is definitely
time to "withdraw with honor" as Tricky Dick said in 1972.

Sidebar:  Somebody had mentioned that Nixon started withdrawing troops from
Vietnam in 1972 and therefor Dubya lucked out and didn't have to go.  That
claim is sorta correct.  Vietnam was a six-month tour of duty.  The war
officially ended on August 31, 1975.  Logically speaking, if Nixon had not
sent any more troops over, the war would have ended (for us) by the end of
1972.  Troops were still being sent, just not as many as often.

Take care,

Tom Hansen
Not On The Palouse, Not Ever

Spring is nature's way of saying, "Let's party!"
-Robin Williams