[Vision2020] NSA Scores Big With Graduation Speaker

DonaldH675@aol.com DonaldH675@aol.com
Sat, 20 Mar 2004 22:12:05 EST

-------------------------------1079838725

Well, Congratulations are in order for the clever boots, (Roy? Take a bow?)=20
who snagged Elizabeth Fox-Genovese for the NSA graduation speaker.  (That wo=
uld=20
be May 12, mark it on your calendars).  Ms. Fox Genovese's career has evolve=
d=20
over the years from pioneering feminist historian to southern partisan and=20
confederate apologist (probably influenced by her husband Eugene a former Yo=
ung=20
Communist, thrice married, now favorite converted liberal of the League of t=
he=20
South.  Here are his thoughts on school segregation.

"The real tragedy of the South and integration was that they let the federal=
=20
government do what they should have done themselves. If they had started 10=20
years earlier to make education separate but genuinely equal=E2=80=94and the=
y were=20
making real strides at the last minute when they finally saw the magnitude o=
f the=20
threat=E2=80=94I wonder how it would have turned out. I think segregation wa=
s wrong on=20
principle, but I'm not sure that if they had succeeded the condition of blac=
k=20
schools in the South wouldn't be a lot better."
 http://www.taemag.com/issues/articleid.16285/article_detail.asp

Ms. Fox Genovese offers a similar view, but her real issue now seems to be a=
=20
redefinition of feminism, the home, and education.

"MRS. FOX-GENOVESE: Many too many people go to college, but they can't get=20
jobs without college. We have a cultural elite and a political economy that=20=
has=20
devalued manual labor and frequently doesn't pay it or abolishes the jobs.
I=E2=80=99d certainly restore single-sex schooling. I=E2=80=99d favor a vouc=
her system. I=20
would favor public subsidy for religious schools, while allowing them to ret=
ain=20
their religious principles and identity."  (same source) =20
If that doesn't describe her point of view succinctly enough try this:
"MRS. FOX-GENOVESE: I'm strongly in favor, not merely of single-sex schools=20
in the inner cities=E2=80=94and all black, if need be=E2=80=94but boarding s=
chools, preferably=20
five-day rather than permanent. Take kids who come from destitute or=20
single-mother families in crime-and drug-ridden projects, and give them a cl=
ean place=20
to sleep and regular meals, physical exercise, the obligation that they do=20
their homework, and tough love."
Carl, you might find this interesting reading, since it deals with baseball:
MRS. FOX-GENOVESE: The first thing that made it clear to me that I was going=
=20
to be in serious trouble with the women's movement was back in the early=20=
=E2=80=9980s=20
when I wrote a piece on baseball wives for the Village Voice, which they=20
butchered. I argued that women and men are different and that baseball bring=
s it=20
out. Certainly women could be fans: even Yankee fans, because girls, too, co=
uld=20
be for power, corruption, and winning. There is physical identification with=
=20
the danger=E2=80=94Roger Kahn describing his father throwing a hard ball at=20=
him and=20
coming to terms with it; Jackie Robinson at second base with the cleats=E2=
=80=94that as=20
women we experience vicariously."
And finally, Ms. Fox-Genovese's views on current views on feminism from an=20
interesting website:
In her most startling and courageous book, Feminism is Not the Story of My=20
Life, Elizabeth Fox-Genovese reveals through insightful and extensive interv=
iews=20
with American mothers, daughters, sisters, and wives from diverse background=
s=20
that the feminist movement does not speak for all women. Listening to their=20
stories, Dr. Fox-Genovese, who is Eleanore Raoul Professor of the Humanities=
=20
and Professor of History at Emory University, discovers a new kind of femini=
sm,=20
a "family feminism" based on the facts of women's lives. She describes this=20
new feminism as a core belief that draws women together based on the things=20=
they=20
have in common, that promotes their rights while taking into account their=20
responsibilities, that trusts women to set their own priorities rather than=20=
try=20
to live up to an unattainable ideal.
http://www.calvin.edu/january/1998/fox-geno.htm
Good job NSA for bringing another thoughtful scholar (at least she has real=20
credentials) to Moscow - but given her views on college education, are you s=
ure=20
she is the right person to be speaking at commencement?
Rose Huskey
Once you lose integrity everything else is easy.
P.S.  President Bush awarded Ms. Fox-Genovese the National Humanities Medal=20
in 2003.

-------------------------------1079838725

<HTML xmlns:o =3D "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:st1 =3D "u=
rn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"><HEAD>
<META charset=3DUTF-8 http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; charse=
t=3DUTF-8">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2737.800" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
f">
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>Well, Congratulations are in order for the clever boots,=
 (Roy? Take a bow?) who snagged Elizabeth Fox-Genovese for the NSA graduatio=
n speaker.&nbsp; (That would be May 12, mark it on your calendars).&nbsp; Ms=
. Fox Genovese's career has evolved over the years from pioneering feminist=20=
historian to southern partisan and confederate&nbsp;apologist (probably infl=
uenced by her husband Eugene a former Young Communist, thrice married, now f=
avorite converted liberal of the League of the South.&nbsp; Here are <U>his<=
/U> thoughts on school segregation.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>"</FONT><FONT size=3D3>The real tragedy of the South and=
 integration was that they let the federal government do what they should ha=
ve done themselves. If they had started 10 years earlier to make education s=
eparate but genuinely equal=E2=80=94and they were making real strides at the=
 last minute when they finally saw the magnitude of the threat=E2=80=94I won=
der how it would have turned out. I think segregation was wrong on principle=
, but I'm not sure that if they had succeeded the condition of black schools=
 in the South wouldn't be a lot better."<o:p></o:p></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times=20=
New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: E=
N-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><SPAN style=3D"=
mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;</SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR=
: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; m=
so-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-=
SA; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'"><A href=3D"http://www.taemag.co=
m/issues/articleid.16285/article_detail.asp">http://www.taemag.com/issues/ar=
ticleid.16285/article_detail.asp</A></SPAN></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso=
-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-farea=
st-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times N=
ew Roman'"></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso=
-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-farea=
st-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times N=
ew Roman'">Ms. Fox Genovese offers a similar view, but her real issue now se=
ems to be a redefinition of feminism, the home, and education.</SPAN></DIV>
<DIV><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso=
-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-farea=
st-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times N=
ew Roman'"><FONT face=3DArial></FONT></SPAN>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; mso=
-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-farea=
st-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times N=
ew Roman'"><FONT face=3DArial>"MRS. FOX-GENOVESE: Many too many people go to=
 college, but they can't get jobs without college. We have a cultural elite=20=
and a political economy that has devalued manual labor and frequently doesn'=
t pay it or abolishes the jobs.<o:p></o:p></FONT></DIV>
<DIV>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>I=E2=80=99d certainly restore single-sex schooling. I=
=E2=80=99d favor a voucher system. I would favor public subsidy for religiou=
s schools, while allowing them to retain their religious principles and iden=
tity."&nbsp; (same source)&nbsp; </FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>If that doesn't describe her point of view succinctly=20=
enough </FONT><FONT face=3DArial>try this:</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>"MRS. FOX-GENOVESE: I'm strongly in favor, not merely=20=
of single-sex schools in the inner cities=E2=80=94and all black, if need be=
=E2=80=94but boarding schools, preferably five-day rather than permanent. Ta=
ke kids who come from destitute or single-mother families in crime-and drug-=
ridden projects, and give them a clean place to sleep and regular meals, phy=
sical exercise, the obligation that they do their homework, and tough love."=
</FONT></P>
<P>Carl, you might find this interesting reading, since it deals with baseba=
ll:</P>
<P><o:p><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-=
fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareas=
t-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><STRONG><FONT face=3DArial>MRS.=
 FOX-GENOVESE:</FONT></STRONG></SPAN><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FA=
MILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ans=
i-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><F=
ONT face=3DArial> The first thing that made it clear to me that I was going=20=
to be in serious trouble with the women's movement was back in the early=20=
=E2=80=9980s when I wrote a piece on baseball wives for the <I>Village Voice=
</I>, which they butchered. I argued that women and men are different and th=
at baseball brings it out. Certainly women could be fans: even Yankee fans,=20=
because girls, too, could be for power, corruption, and winning. There is ph=
ysical identification with the danger=E2=80=94Roger Kahn describing his fath=
er throwing a hard ball at him and coming to terms with it; Jackie Robinson=20=
at second base with the cleats=E2=80=94that as women we experience vicarious=
ly</FONT>."</SPAN></o:p></P>
<P><o:p><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-=
fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareas=
t-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA"><FONT face=3DArial>And finally,=
 Ms. Fox-Genovese's views on current views on feminism from an interesting w=
ebsite:</FONT></SPAN></o:p></P><o:p><SPAN style=3D"FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAM=
ILY: 'Times New Roman'; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi=
-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><FONT face=3DArial>In her=
 most startling and courageous book, Feminism is Not the Story of My Life, E=
lizabeth Fox-Genovese reveals through insightful and extensive interviews wi=
th American mothers, daughters, sisters, and wives from diverse backgrounds=20=
that the feminist movement does not speak for all women. Listening to their=20=
stories, Dr. Fox-Genovese, who is Eleanore Raoul Professor of the Humanities=
 and Professor of History at <st1:place><st1:PlaceName>Emory</st1:PlaceName>=
 <st1:PlaceType>University</st1:PlaceType></st1:place>, discovers a new kind=
 of feminism, a "family feminism" based on the facts of women's lives. She d=
escribes this new feminism as a core belief that draws women together based=20=
on the things they have in common, that promotes their rights while taking i=
nto account their responsibilities, that trusts women to set their own prior=
ities rather than try to live up to an unattainable ideal.</FONT></P>
<P class=3DMsoNormal style=3D"MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><A href=3D"http://www.cal=
vin.edu/january/1998/fox-geno.htm"><FONT face=3DArial>http://www.calvin.edu/=
january/1998/fox-geno.htm</FONT></A></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>Good job NSA for bringing another thoughtful scholar (=
at least she has real credentials) to Moscow - but given her views on colleg=
e education, are you sure she is the right person to be speaking at commence=
ment?</FONT></P>
<P><FONT face=3DArial>Rose Huskey</FONT></P>
<P></SPAN></o:p></SPAN><FONT lang=3D0 size=3D3 FAMILY=3D"SERIF" PTSIZE=3D"12=
">Once you lose integrity everything else is easy.</FONT></P></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D3>P.S.&nbsp; President Bush awarded Ms. Fox-Genovese the N=
ational Humanities Medal in 2003.</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>