[Vision2020] That's not how it was!

Nick Gier ngier@uidaho.edu
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 11:49:26 -0800

Dear Mr. Kraut,

First Century Roman Palestine was a violent place and Pilate, not the
conflicted conscientious man with the sweet wife in Gibson's movie, was
responsible for most of it.  In fact, he was recalled to Rome for his
brutality.  Also, unlike the movie, he was fully responsible for Jesus'
death, an execution for a revolutionary not a blasphemer.  I'm convinced
that gospel writers, writing 50-85 years after the fact, fabricated the
Jewish trial and the Jewish mob.  They were upset that many Jews had not
converted and they were also afraid of increased persecution if Pilate
weren't partially excused.]\

Gibson's religious pornography (and that's what you get when you do not
tell the entire Gospel story) is full of excessive violence.  Gibson's
Jesus dies the death of 20 men and loses the blood of 30.  Is this his
perverse way of showing that Jesus was really God?!

Gibson got the many details of a Roman crucifixion wrong, had Jesus
speaking church Latin (!), and uses the wrong word for God in Aramaic
throughout.  And, as Melynda has told us, Gibson got most of the
extra-Biblical material from a virulently anti-Semitic 18th Century
nun.  For more on this see my film review at
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/madmax.htm.

But worst of all he has produced the most anti-Semitic movie since a German
silent film on the Passion in 1917, and we've seen its effects already with
the swastikas on the Denver synagogue.  But just wait until it is shown
world wide to Muslim audiences, who may have the infamous subtitle from
Matt. 27:25 (We the Jews and our children take Jesus' blood on us!)
restored to bring home the blame even more.  For more on Matt. 27:25 see
www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/kale.htm.

Nick Gier