[Vision2020] Good-bye Stile, Hello Gay Marriage

Nick Gier ngier@uidaho.edu
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 09:09:31 -0800

Greetings:

I didn't want to waste another posting on Stile alone, so I'm using this
opportunity to speak to another topic.  Some of you may have heard the
commentator on NPR who spoke about Denmark's experiment with same sex
marriage.  They passed a law in 1989 and some of the results are quite
remarkable.  First, divorce among straight couples went down.  Second, the
new gay couples stayed together longer than the straight couples.  Just my
own observation here: will the commitment and seriousness shown by gays
towards the institution of marriage strengthen the it rather than destroy it???

Now my last and final comments to Mr. Stile.  Get this: he wants me to find
the non-existent quote from George Washington that he gave us!  And taking
out this non-quotation does not help his case for theocracy.  What famous
Americans say is the not the law of the land.  The religion-less
Constitution is the law of the land.

Quite apart from my Bible scholars who are current and well tested in the
marketplace of ideas and Stile's  discredited sources (some of which go
back to the 19th Century!), I want to return to the basic question that
does not involve scholars at all.  My focus was 2 Tim. 3:15-16, which has
Paul speaking of inspired scripture that his readers would have read in
childhood.  That can only be the Hebrew Bible and not any of the New
Testament.  The logic of his passage is indisputable.

Furthermore, I should have clarified an ambiguity that others Stile and
others love to exploit.  They conflate inspiration and detailed
inerrancy.  Of course the Church has always believed that their scripture
is inspired, but only recently have Christians believed that the Bible is
without error in all areas of human knowledge.

Finally, let me clarify once again the qualification I make in the third
section of chapter 6 of my "God, Reason, and the Evangelicals"
(www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/gre.htm). Here I spoke, perhaps unclearly,
about a controversy about detailed inerrancy that I admitted, because I'm
not a historical theologian, I could not adjudicate myself.  I go on,
however, and side with scholars who reject detailed inerrancy in Luther and
Calvin.  Mr. Stile, a good sign of intellectual honesty is to make
qualifications and to admit the limits of one's expertise.

Nick Gier