[Vision2020] oil supply/demand

Dick Schmidt dickschmidt@moscow.com
Wed, 10 Mar 2004 07:51:30 -0800

Roger,

You hit the nail directly on the head. We have to decrease use of fuel in
order for the price to decrease. There are many ways to help conserve fuel.
1. Don't let your car sit and idle for 15 to 30 minutes to warm it up in the
morning. It is better for your car if you scrape the windows and get in and
drive it. It will warm up sooner and it is better for the engine. Don't go
out and drive 70 until the engine has warmed though.  (I spent most of my
life in Michigan hearing that from the automotive engineers) Some areas are
now forbidding you to warm your car up in the morning to cut air pollution
and conserve fuel.
2. Roger's idea of riding a bike and walking are excellent. Short trips in a
car usually give you very poor gas mileage. I think the bus idea would work
a little better here if they started about 6:30 AM and more people would use
it to go to work.
3. Planning trips and making a "need list"  can cut out 3 or 4 trips to the
stores each week.
I'm an old guy and can remember when gas was $0.299 a gallon so it really
makes me set up and take notice when last spring break we paid over $2.00
for gas in California and it is headed that way here.
I have a very large "bee in my bonnet" over the fact the technology is here
today to increase gas mileage by 15% and cut pollution by 15% but Detroit
won't spend the $100 or so per vehicle to install it. CAFE standards must be
raised to force the issue!
Do you know there is a combination spark plug/fuel injector which injects
fuel directly into the cylinder? Developed by Orbital Engine an Australian
Technology company and GM.

Dick Schmidt