[Vision2020] Reformed & Evangelical Christianity.

Andreas Schou scho8053@uidaho.edu
Sat, 06 Mar 2004 20:02:31 -0800

> defend Wilson & Co. I know for a fact that there are many
> Christians, even
> conservative evangelicals, who have criticized Wilson & Co., so
> when I read
> a defense, I naturally assume that they are affiliated. If
> defenders who
> are not Christ Church members want to take the risk of being
> identified
> with them, then they do not need to heed my suggestion, and it was
> only that.

I would also note tha Roy Atwood only considers Christ Church to be evangelical when when it is politically convenient to do so: the remainder of the time, they stress the clear devisions between Evangelical and Reformed Christianity. One needn't look further than the Canon Press catalog to see the clear divisions that Christ Church makes between themselves and evangelical Christianity. Their calling themselves evangelicals is an attempt to make themselves sound mainstream -- something that they're clearly not.

-- ACS

P.S. For those of you that're interested in the technical details (and either Doug #1 or Doug #2 can correct me if I'm wrong), Christ Church's place on the evangelical-->reformed continuum is a little muddier than I make it out to be. As I understand it, the CRE is composed largely of formerly-evangelical churches that, like Christ Church, have accepted the Presbyterian form of church government and certain points of Reformed theology, but do not meet the confessional requirements (or do not wish to give up the autonomy) to be admitted into the PCA, RPCUS, or OPC . Thus, they are a confederation rather than a denomination, and their confessional background is perhaps a bit schizophrenic.