[Vision2020] House Bill 754

Jeff Harkins jeffh@moscow.com
Thu, 04 Mar 2004 19:23:25 -0800

In reference to Tom's query about HB 754, Shirley Ringo is quite
correct.  This bill would provide for the expenditure side of the budget to
be based on an index comprised of the  "average growth" in population and
the change in the consumer price index.

On the surface, this bill seemingly would  provide a control on growth of
the expenditure side of the budget.  However, in practice these kinds of
controls are a poor substitute for good fiscal management.  Adoption of
such bills is a clear admission that those in charge of managing budgets
are not able to exercise the fiscal and fiduciary responsibilities of their
positions.  Such practices result in a continuos growth in the budget -
becomes what is usually referred to as a carry-forward budget with a
relatively fixed increase each year.

On the positive side, it does tend to take some of the politics out of the
budget battle - it is assumed that the budget will grow at a steady rate of
say 4% each year.

On the negative side, it does mean that the revenue side must also increase
at the same rate each year.

Frankly, I don't think it is a very good way to proceed ... but then we
might not need the legislature to meet each year on the budget - it might
be possible to have them meet every three or four years .......... maybe it
is not such a bad idea after all.