[Vision2020] Pee-Yu!

Ron Force rforce@moscow.com
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 10:23:52 -0800

>From the Spokesman-Review "Eye on boise" blog:

An off-Trail vote?
Former state geologist Earl Bennett was sitting in for Rep. Tom Trail,
R-Moscow, while Trail underwent an angiogram this week. But the moderate
Trail might not be all that happy with his sub casting the deciding vote to
kill HB 730, which died Tuesday on a 7-5 vote in the House Agriculture
Committee.

The measure, by Rep. Wendy Jaquet, D-Ketchum, would have deleted a possibly
unconstitutional clause from current law that says only those with primary
residences within one mile are allowed to testify at public hearings on the
sitings of CAFOs, or large confined animal feeding operations. A parade of
southern Idaho residents told the committee the manure stench from CAFOs
spreads for more than a mile. “I speak from first-hand experience – two
miles is not enough,” Helen McCracken told the panel.

Plus, CAFO proponents can bring in all the experts they want, but neighbors
can’t have anyone who lives more than a mile away testify.

“Probably Tom is gonna be real unhappy with me,” Bennett chuckled after the
vote. He said he thought the 1-mile limit was “terrible,” but that county
commissioners, not the state, should be the ones to waive it.

Trail returns on Monday.

Posted by Betsy   ::   2 Mar 10:47 PM

Bennett plans to run agains Shirley Ringo

Ron Force          Moscow ID USA
rforce@moscow.com