[Vision2020] White House E-Mail Updates

Weekly Review thansen@moscow.com
Sat Jun 19 00:06:22 PDT 2004

W H I T E   H O U S E   E M A I L  U P D A T E S
                          WEEKLY REVIEW

June 18, 2004

In this Issue
 - AT THE TOP
   > 9/11 Commission
   > Jobs & Economic Growth
   > Rx Drugs
 - IN THE NEWS
   ^1 Paul Johnson
   ^2 Iraq
   ^3 Afghanistan
   ^4 Our Troops
   ^5 Clinton Portraits
   ^6 Website Exclusives
 - DID YOU READ?
   * Did You Read? - 9/11 Commission

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~At the Top~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   9/11 Commission
   REPORT CONFIRMS ADMINISTRATION'S VIEWS OF AL-QAEDA/IRAQ TIES

   A 9/11 Commission staff report supports the Bush
   Administration's longstanding conclusion that there was no
   evidence of "collaboration" between Iraq and al-Qaeda on the
   9-11 attacks against the United States.  The Administration
   has said, however, that it was worried about a number of
   contacts between Iraq and al-Qaeda, including contacts
   between senior Iraqi intelligence officers and senior members
   of al-Qaeda.  The Commission's investigation does not dispute
   that contacts between Iraq and al-Qaeda occurred.

   The Administration also knew that Iraq was harboring a
   terrorist network headed by Zarqawi.  Zarqawi, the senior
   al-Qaeda associate who was known to be in Baghdad for medical
   treatment in May 2002, continues to undertake indiscriminate
   acts of terrorism today.  The Administration knew Saddam had
   longstanding, direct, and continuing ties to a number of
   terrorist groups, including groups responsible for killing
   Americans.

   On Thursday, both President Bush and the 9/11 Commission's
   Vice Chairman Lee Hamilton commented on press reaction to
   this 9/11 Commission staff report:

   "The reason I keep insisting that there was a relationship
   between Iraq and Saddam and al-Qaeda [is] because there was a
   relationship between Iraq and al-Qaeda.  This administration
   never said that the 9/11 attacks were orchestrated between
   Saddam and al-Qaeda.  We did say there were numerous contacts
   between Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda.  For example, Iraqi
   intelligence officers met with bin Laden, the head of
   al-Qaeda, in the Sudan.  There's numerous contacts between
   the two."
     - President George W. Bush, 06/17/04

   "I must say I have trouble understanding the flack over this.
   The vice president is saying, I think, that there were
   connections between al-Qaeda and Saddam Hussein's government.
    We don't disagree with that.  What we have said is... we
   don't have any evidence of a cooperative, or a corroborative
   relationship between Saddam Hussein's government and these
   al-Qaeda operatives with regard to the attacks on the United
   States.  So it seems to me the sharp differences that the
   press has drawn, the media has drawn, are not that apparent
   to me."
   - Lee Hamilton, 9/11 Commission Vice Chairman, 06/17/04

   President's Remarks:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040617-3.html

   Jobs & Economic Growth
   PRESIDENT BUSH'S POLICIES SUPPORT AMERICA'S SMALL BUSINESSES

   Small businesses create 7 out of 10 new jobs in America
   and account for more than half of the output of our
   economy.  The President's policies are helping America's
   small businesses and workers; nearly 1 million jobs have
   been created in the last 100 days and more than 1.4
   million new jobs have been created since August.

   Key Points

   - President Bush recognizes that supporting America's
     small businesses is critical to ensuring continued job
     creation.

   - The President has made tax relief for America's small
     business a key component of his economic program.

   - America is the world's largest exporter, and the
     President is committed to expanding markets for American
     products and services.

   - The President is committed to reducing the costs of
     doing business in America.

   - The President has made tax relief permanence a top
     priority, because raising taxes on small businesses will hurt
     economic growth and job creation.

   Because small businesses are vital to our Nation's
   prosperity and reflect the hard work of the American
   people, the President has taken important steps to
   assist small businesses and the people they employ by
   reducing taxes, encouraging investment, and removing
   obstacles to growth.

   President's Remarks:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040617-7.html

   Fact Sheet: Supporting America's Small Businesses:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040617-4.html

   In Focus - Jobs & Economic Growth:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/infocus/economy/index.html

   Rx Drugs
   MEDICARE DRUG DISCOUNT CARDS HELP SENIORS SAVE ON DRUG COSTS

   President Bush traveled to Kansas City, MO on Monday to
   discuss with seniors the benefits of the new
   Medicare-approved Drug Discount Cards.  Six months after he
   signed into law this historic legislation, seniors are able
   to achieve real savings on their prescription medicines by
   signing up for the cards.

   Seniors can use the card to save 15 to 30 percent off the
   usual retail price of most brand name drugs and more on
   generics at neighborhood pharmacies.  Low-income seniors
   struggling with high drug costs will be able to get these
   savings, plus an additional $600 a year credit - or $1,200
   over the next 18 months - to help pay for prescriptions.

   Seniors can learn how to sign up and find the best card for
   them by calling 1-800-MEDICARE or by visiting
   www.medicare.gov.  The web site has price comparison tools
   so, for the first time, seniors can get information on actual
   drug prices allowing them to comparison shop.

   Fact Sheet - Medicare Rx Drug Cards:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040614-23.html

   President's Remarks:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040614-12.html

   FDA Chief Discusses New Discount Card on 06/14:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/radio/

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~In The News~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

^1 Paul Johnson
   PRESIDENT BUSH CONDEMNS MURDER OF PAUL JOHNSON

   President Bush on Friday said, "The murder of Paul shows the
   evil nature of the enemy we face.  These are barbaric people.
    They're trying to shake our will; they're trying to get us
   to retreat from the world.  America will not retreat.
   America will not be intimidated by these kinds of extremist
   thugs.

"May God bless Paul Johnson."

   President's Remarks:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040618-5.html

^2 Iraq
   THREE RECENT EVENTS ILLUSTRATE PROGRESS IN IRAQ

   Three events from last week illustrate that President
   Bush's five-step plan for Iraqi sovereignty is working --
   and the international community is coming together to help
   Iraqi's secure their own future.

   Three Key Events

   - U.N. Security Council Resolution 1546: Unanimously
     adopted June 8th, it supports free elections and reauthorizes
     the multinational force to help provide security in Iraq.

   - Strong G8 Summit Support: For both the Iraqi Interim
     Government and the President's plan to promote democracy in the
     broader Middle East.

   - President of a Free Iraq Visits U.S.: President
     Al-Yawer attended the G8 Summit, thanking the American people
     for their sacrifices and emphasizing Iraqis are working to make
     sure they were not in vain.

   Fact Sheet - Five-Step Plan for Iraq:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/05/20040524-4.html

   President's Remarks Outlining His Five-Step Plan for Iraq:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/05/20040524-10.html

^3 Afghanistan
   PRESIDENT BUSH MEETS WITH PRESIDENT KARZAI OF AFGHANISTAN

   President Bush welcomed Afghan President Karzai to the
   White House on Tuesday where the two leaders discussed the
   significant progress in Afghanistan.  Addressing reporters
   in the Rose Garden, President Bush outlined five new
   U.S.-Afghan initiatives to "help the Afghan people achieve
   the peace, stability, and prosperity they deserve."

   Key Points
   The five new U.S.-Afghan initiatives outlined by President
   Bush include:

   - A training program for newly elected Afghan politicians
     and assembly members to help build democratic institutions.

   - Building modern schools, printing new textbooks, and
     training teachers in a new curriculum that teaches religious
     and ethnic tolerance.

   - Expanding exchange programs that help foster
     understanding and respect between the U.S. and Afghanistan.

   - Continuing Afghanistan's revival by pursuing a
     bilateral trade agreement, and encouraging foreign investment
     in Afghanistan.

   - Creating opportunities for Afghan women through
     training in business management skills and small business
     grants.

   "Three years ago, the Taliban had granted Osama bin
   Laden and his terrorist al Qaeda organization a safe
   refuge," said President Bush.  "Today, the Taliban has
   been deposed, al Qaeda is in hiding, and coalition
   forces continue to hunt down the remnants and
   holdouts.

   "Afghanistan's journey to democracy and peace deserves
   the support and respect of every nation, because free
   nations do not breed the ideology of terror... my
   government reaffirms its iron-clad commitment to help
   Afghanistan succeed and prosper."

   President Bush's & President Karzai's Remarks:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040615-4.html

^4 Our Troops
   PRESIDENT SALUTES MILITARY, VISITS BASES IN FL AND WA

   On Wednesday, the President addressed military personnel at
   MacDill Air Force Base in Tampa, FL.  In his remarks, the
   President said, "Wherever your duty has taken you, I want you

   to know that you are a part of a great force for good in this

world.  The defense of our country, the security of our
   friends, and the peace of the world depend on you.  Thank you

   for working hard, and for bringing credit and honor to the
   United States military."

   On Friday President Push spoke to military personnel, visited
   with wounded soldiers and met with families of fallen
   soldiers in Fort Lewis, WA.  In his remarks, the President
   said, "Each of you is a volunteer.  You sacrifice in the
   service of a higher calling, the cause of your nation.  And
   we are grateful for that sacrifice.  People all over our
   country will join me in saying, thank you for what you're
   doing for our country."

   President's Remarks - FL:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040616-4.html

   President's Remarks - WA:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040618-1.html

^5 Clinton Portraits
   THE PRESIDENT WELCOMES PRESIDENT CLINTON AND SENATOR CLINTON

   President Bush welcomed President Clinton and Senator Clinton
   to the White House for the unveiling of their portraits on
   Monday.

   President's Remarks:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040614-2.html

^6 Website Exclusives
   HIGHLIGHTS OF CONTENT FOUND ONLY AT WHITEHOUSE.GOV

   This week's highlights featured on Whitehouse.gov:

     http://www.whitehouse.gov/ask/20040618_2.html

     http://www.whitehouse.gov/ask/20040618.html

     http://www.whitehouse.gov/ask/20040617.html

     http://www.whitehouse.gov/ask/20040614.html

     http://www.whitehouse.gov/radio/index.html

   > White House Radio - Secretary Colin Powell:
     http://www.whitehouse.gov/radio/index.html

   > White House Radio - Asa Hutchinson:
     http://www.whitehouse.gov/radio/index.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Did You Read?~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   "COMMISSION CONFIRMS LINKS"

   Stephen J. Hadley, Deputy National Security Adviser, USA
   Today, 06/18/2004:

   "A 9/11 commission staff report is being cited to argue
   that the administration was wrong about there being
   suspicious ties and contacts between Iraq and al-Qaeda.
   In fact, just the opposite is true.  The staff report
   documents such links.

   "The staff report concludes that:

   - "Al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden 'explored possible
     cooperation with Iraq during his time in Sudan.'

   - "'A senior Iraqi intelligence officer reportedly made
     three visits to Sudan, finally meeting bin Laden in 1994.'

   - "'Contacts between Iraq and al-Qaeda also occurred
     after bin Laden had returned to Afghanistan.'

   "Chairman Thomas Kean has confirmed: 'There were
   contacts between Iraq and al-Qaeda, a number of them,
   some of them a little shadowy.  They were definitely
   there.'

   "Abu Musab al-Zarqawi is the leader of a terrorist
   group that is responsible for a number of deadly
   attacks throughout Iraq.  He and his men trained and
   fought with al-Qaeda for years.  Zarqawi's network
   helped establish and operate an explosives and poisons
   facility in northeast Iraq.  Zarqawi and nearly
   two-dozen al-Qaeda associates were in Baghdad before
   the fall of Saddam's regime.  In 2002, one al-Qaeda
   associate bragged that the situation in Iraq was "good"
   and that Baghdad could be transited quickly."

   Full Column:
   http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/editorials/2004-06-17-hadley_x.htm

   - Subscribe:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/email