[Vision2020] Reply to Nelson in Daily News

Nicholas Gier ngier@uidaho.edu
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:25:42 -0600

Greetings:

I still want to reply to Pat Kraut on her history lesson, but I'll save that one for later.

I would like to thank Ralph Nielsen for his help on this reply to Don Nelson.

To the Editor:

I would like Don Nelson (Opinion, June 9) to consider the following
hypothetical story.

* Claiming that I am an eye witness, I write a biography of my greatest
hero.  However, when it is published, critics say that over half the words
are the same as a previous biographer named Robert.
* In my book I add a genealogy of my hero, but critics point out that it
disagrees on significant points with a genealogy of the same man written by
Thomas, who, incidentally, also borrows more than half his words from Robert.
* I read (in a bad translation) my people's scripture very closely and find
very improbable references to my hero.  The most embarrassing reference is
one in which I claim that my hero was born of a virgin when in fact the
original language says "young woman" and she gives birth in the next chapter!
* My hero is executed by a repressive government, but because most of my
own people refused to follow my hero, I blame the death on them instead.
* For centuries my people are persecuted because of my misrepresentation of
the facts.
I submit that I would not be a very credible author, and that I should bear
responsibility for the results of my errors.

If Nelson had his Septuagint handy he would have found, as Matthew did,
that the passage he misuses is indeed from 2 Kings 1:16 (not 2 Sam 1:16) as
we find it in our much better translations.  (I explicitly said Greek
translation in my letter, the one that early church fathers claimed was
divinely inspired.)  As with the young mother of Is. 7:14, Matthew also
rips this passage out of context.  David is confronting the Amalekite, who
has just killed Saul, "the Lord's anointed."  (The term "Messiah" was used
for all Israelite priests and kings, even the Persian king Cyrus in Is.
45.1.)  Therefore, David's curse "your blood be upon your head," is
directed at a pagan murderer.  It is incredible and irresponsible for
Mathew to use this passage as a false prophecy about the killing of Jesus
as the Messiah, and particularly vicious because he is blaming Jesus' death
not on the pagan Romans but his own people.  Nelson's suggestion that it
would common for Jews to use this curse is absurd.

I knew that Michael Medved was a Jew, Don, but I would rather listen to the
Jews in Denver, who were startled to read "The Jews killed Jesus!" on the
marquee of a Pentecostal church the day Mel Gibson's "The Passion of
Christ" opened.  Ten days later the same Jews were horrified to find
swastikas painted on their synagogue.

Nelson claims that Gibson's deviations from the Gospel account are
"irrelevant." Scholars have traced most of these extra scenes to the
visions of Anne Catherine Emmerich (1774-1824), who Gibson says "supplied
me with stuff I never would have thought of." Emmerich believed that the
defining feature of the Jews are their long noses, and the more bent the
nose the more evil the Jew. When Gibson says that he doesn't consider
Emmerich to be anti-Semitic, he is clearly admitting that he doesn't have a
clue about what hatred of Jews is all about.

I'm beginning to believe that Nelson is just as dense as Gibson.

Nick Gier