[Vision2020] The UI Friday Letter

Tom Hansen thansen@moscow.com
Fri, 11 Jun 2004 05:52:31 -0700

University of Idaho
Office of the President
Moscow, Idaho 83844-3151
Phone: 208-885-6365
Fax: 208-885-6558

The Friday Letter
A Newsletter for University of Idaho Alumni and Friends
June 11, 2004

Here's the latest news at the University of Idaho:

* The waiting and speculation ended last Friday when the UI accepted
an invitation to become an all-sports member of the Western Athletic
Conference. "This is an historic day for Vandal athletics," UI Athletics
Director Rob Spear said. WAC commissioner Karl Benson said the decision
of the eight voting members - the schools that will comprise the WAC
in 2005 - was unanimous. "The WAC is very excited about Idaho's
membership," Benson said. "They bring great enthusiasm. They bring
excitement to the WAC. They'll bring great value to the WAC. The
presidents looked at what the entire Vandal program brought to the WAC.
Not just the athletic side. The academic side is an important part and
certainly impressed our board. To have brought in Idaho not as a full
member would have been a disservice. We just think that Idaho will be
a very productive and very valuable full member of the WAC."

The Vandals will compete for one more season in the Sun Belt Conference
before becoming a full member of a western conference for the first
time since the Big West Conference dropped football following the 2000
season. In making the move, Idaho rejoins former Big West foes Boise
State, Utah State, New Mexico State and Nevada in forming a conference
based in the western United States. Also in the WAC in 2005 will be
Fresno State, San Jose State, Louisiana Tech and the University of
Hawaii.

Program-wide, the change in conference should amount to a savings of
$175,000 annually in travel costs. "We persevered when other people
thought we were headed the wrong direction with our programs. This is
just another step in the right direction," Spear said. The invitation
brought to an end days of speculation about the future path of the WAC
and whether Idaho would be on it. In issuing the invitation, the WAC
presidents set the stage for a nine-team conference, which guarantees
each team four home football games. Interim UI president Gary Michael
said the work is just beginning. "This is a great day for us," Michael
said. "Our people have wanted this for a long time. Now we have to get
the job done. This is an important milestone for us."

* An opportunity to create while surrounded by the beauty of nature
awaits Jennifer Hirt now that she has earned her MFA in creative
writing at UI. The Bernheim Arboretum in Clermont, Ky., selected Hirt
as "writer-in-residence" for 2004. Each year, the 14,000-acre
arboretum selects a writer to serve in a residential position. Hirt
will teach writing workshops, give a reading of her work and contribute
an essay to the arboretum's permanent library.

* Idaho Repertory Theatre's summer line-up of plays opens June 24 with
"My Way: A Musical Tribute to Frank Sinatra," a new musical review that
celebrates one of America's most beloved performers. On July 8, the
unhappy, stuffy Kirbys and the irrepressible, good-hearted Sycamores
take the stage in "You Can't Take It With You" by George S. Kaufman
and Moss Hart. "The Rivals" by Richard Brinsley Sheridan will open on
the outdoor stage July 16. The season finale opens on July 27 with a
week-long run of "Same Time, Next Year" which was hailed as a "love
letter to the world" when it first opened on Broadway. More information
about the schedule and how to purchase tickets is available at
www.uitheatre.com.

Spring is nature's way of saying, "Let's party!"
-Robin Williams