[Vision2020] Doug Wilson and Jim Wilson's ministry

Eric Engerbretson eric@eric-e.com
Tue, 1 Jun 2004 17:17:50 -0700

--Apple-Mail-47-454088176

On May 31, 2004, at 9:21 AM, Nick Gier wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> I have it on good authority that Doug Wilson sits on the board of Jim
> Wilson's Community Campus Ministries and he is chair of the committee
> seeking a replacement for Jim Wilson.

Yes, I assumed this was pretty common knowledge. Their are six or seven
churches represented on the CCM board and Doug is certainly one of the
members. But it is dead wrong to think that he is anything more than
just one more opinion when we vote on anything. He does a very
impressive job of biting his tongue when things come up that could be
turned into doctrinal discussions, in order to not cause or even
mention any division, or emphasize the difference between the various
churches represented. Often times he is traveling or busy and not able
to attend our board meetings. My point is that I know everyone wants to
think that he somehow rules or exerts some kind of special influence on
the CCM board, and nothing could be farther from the truth.  His main
contribution is to throw out the odd crack that gets us all laughing.
Then he quietly places his vote on whatever topic is at hand.  I am
tempted here to make a joke about his vote counting for seven while the
rest of ours only count for one-- but many people would take me
literally, and another slanderous confused mess would result. So I
won't joke.

> My bets are still on Eric
> E. as the successor.

If CCM can't succeed in finding a better qualified successor, then I
would have serious doubts about the competency of these people.  No
comments from the peanut gallery, please.

There is no way I would even be considered, but even if I was, I would
have to refuse, because I am simply and clearly unqualified (read
"able"). Perhaps if I committed to eight years of seminary I could get
able, but that ain't gon' happen. Not with out a special word from God.
Real special.

> So much for Eric's claim that there exist "totally distinct" Wilson
> ministries.

My claim is as true as it was before, Nick.  Doug's being one of the
CCM board members barely at all makes the ministries less distinct. If
you were on the board yourself, which meets once or twice a year, you'd
see clearly how little influence Doug has on CCM, and what a minute
issue this whole thing is. In fact, I'm really surprised you've got the
time on your hands to bother with such trifles.

> Eric, you have not responded to my specific questions about
> differences between you and Doug.  I'm sure that you will be more
> honest in answering them than Doug was in answering my 12 questions
> just before his town meeting last December.

I would only answer them if I felt obligated.   Any differences I have
with Doug are the business of only he and I and God. And they are only
small points, anyway.  I've had small doctrinal differences with every
pastor I've ever known.  Hasn't everybody?

One of the things I am most impressed with about Doug is how graciously
he will deal with his friends (and anyone who is not trying to attack
him) when they have differing views than he.  I have had discussions
with him where I have been accidentally quite rude to him, and I have
never been dealt with so graciously and humbly.

Doug can defend Doug. NSA can defend NSA. I never intended to start "a
thread" here anyway. I just get riled when I see people whom I know to
be good people getting maliciously misrepresented. So I chirped.

The only person I feel obligated to defend is Christ and His Word.

Eric E.

--Apple-Mail-47-454088176

I have it on good authority that Doug Wilson sits on the board of Jim
Wilson's Community Campus Ministries and he is chair of the committee
seeking a replacement for Jim Wilson.

</excerpt>

[...]

<excerpt>My bets are still on Eric

E. as the successor.

</excerpt>

If CCM can't succeed in finding a better qualified successor, then I
would have serious doubts about the competency of these people.  No
comments from the peanut gallery, please.

There is no way I would even be considered, but even if I was, I would
have to refuse, because I am simply and clearly unqualified (read
"able"). Perhaps if I committed to eight years of seminary I could get
able, but that ain't gon' happen. Not with out a special word from
God. Real special.

<excerpt>So much for Eric's claim that there exist "totally distinct"
Wilson ministries.

</excerpt>

My claim is as true as it was before, Nick.  Doug's being one of the
CCM board members barely at all makes the ministries less distinct. If
you were on the board yourself, which meets once or twice a year,
you'd see clearly how little influence Doug has on CCM, and what a
minute issue this whole thing is. In fact, I'm really surprised you've
got the time on your hands to bother with such trifles.

<excerpt>

[...]

The only person I feel <italic>obligated</italic> to defend is Christ
and His Word.

Eric E.

--Apple-Mail-47-454088176--