[Vision2020] Religious Tax Exemption

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 23 20:48:23 PDT 2004

John,

That is a complex question you pose. Let me ask you this: Would it be a good
idea to tax a church that feeds about 1/3 of the poor in Moscow so that they
could not afford to feed the poor? Which is cheaper, people dropping food at
a food bank run by a church, or the government setting up paperwork,
buildings, regulators, and the like?

I agree that the Government should do, and does most this work, but churches
can do it cheaper, and without so many problems as a government agency would
impose. Believe it or not there are three food banks in Moscow, and two of
them are Churches. If you taxed them, at least one would stop functioning.
Would you feel comfortable with that? I would not.

However, I do agree that many churches don't do squat but sell their
ideology and take up space that could be occupied by a business that would
be paying taxes.

What I think would be more appropriate would be is a better defintion of a
religion or non-profit.

The legal problem of taxing religion is that is a restriction placed on it
by the Government. A restriction placed on religion is Unconstitutional, I
believe.

Donovan J Arnold