[Vision2020] racist remarks??

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 23 11:28:11 PDT 2004

Pat wrote:
"I have reread my posts about the possible policy not being funded any more
and I don't believe I said anything against any particular race or group. If
my comment about waving the Mexican flag made you think that it was racist . . . "

Yuppers, that's what did it.  I would encourage you to think a bit more before posting inappropriate (assuming you aren't racist) comments which are offensive to those of us who have worked diligently to communicate sensitively with those of all backgrounds.

I would also like to encourage you to look at the plight of *all* of those who are unable to finish high school for a variety of reasons.  It's not a pretty picture and *hurts* our country.  Children have different rights/responsibilities than adults for many reasons, one of which is (physiological) brain development (I'd encourage you to read some of the fascinating research about the brain development of adolescents).  Children are *not* just little adults, and I'm all for programs that encourage kids to stay in school -- their ability to understand cause & effect is still developing.  Just as we don't allow kids to "decide" to vote before they are 18 or drink before they are 21, I think we need to encourage them using whatever works to finish high school.  Certainly, we want to offer them supports to stay in school when the lifestyles of those primarily responsible (their parents) are such that finishing high school is very, very difficult!

Do you not understand that the kids of migrant workers often drop out of school & go to work in the fields NOT to buy CDs or books or cars but to help support their families?!?!?!  If paying those kids to attend school, rather than turning our backs on them, puts a dent in that 60% drop-out rate, I'm all for it!  Not only does it help those individual vulnerable kids, it also helps their families AND each & every one of us who make up the USofA!  It's an investment in the future, one that will pay off (unlike a bunch of the big business and ag subsidies).

Melynda, thanks for bringing the DoL elimination of this valuable program to our attention!  Even though I'm away from home petsitting for a former friend whose father just had a stroke, I took the time to write my legislators.  I do not understand how they can support eliminating a program that helps kids yet continue to support corporate and ag welfare.  <sigh>

In another post, Pat also wrote:
"Of all the silly answers...I am poor, twit!"

Well, gee . . . does this mean it's OK to resort to name-calling when someone says things with which we disagree?  Or, is it only OK for you, Pat?

Pat also wrote:
" My comments were about the public school system,. which is
failing all students in many ways."

Well, that's your opinion and you're certainly entitled to it.  It's an opinion with which I strongly disagree, however I'm going to take the more appropriate road and refrain from name-calling.

Pat, if you think the public schools are such a failure, what are you doing to help fix it?  What real concrete efforts are you making to improve a situation you claim is seriously deficient for our nation's children???

Saundra Lund
Moscow, Idaho

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good people to do nothing.
Edmund Burke