[Vision2020] Facinating comments towards and from Pat, etc, etc.

Paul nath5573 at uidaho.edu
Fri Jul 23 08:36:38 PDT 2004

Hi everyone.

I've been lurking in this list for a week or so now, just watching the
traffic.
I was hoping that it would be a place for reasonably intelligent
discussion, as befitting a community list.
I like Moscow, you see. :)

Now, I've been online since 1998, and it's been truly amazing, the level
of discourtesy extended to Pat Kraut over his? her?
statement, to wit:

One person gave out grave doubts as to Pat's beliefs;
One person called Pat a reptile;
A set of people of people suggested that what Pat really meant was along
the lines of sending the children to Iraq as targets;
One person likened Pat to Scrooge;
One person called Pat a hypocrite.

Really, people. Most high-schooler/middle schooler Star Wars fans are
far more pleasant and friendly, even when debating such
earth shaking matters such as the real size of a Star Destroyer. (You
wouldn't even believe the zealousness SW fans can get to....)
While I could come up with 4 or 5 examples and counter examples about
social nets and their value, you could at least be civil
and debate the idea, not Pat.

I suspect some of you owe Pat an apology.

Unless, of course, this list is especially intended for flaming. In
which case, I will sadly leave, knowing that Moscow is not quite as good
of a town
I thought it was.

As for my comment on the original topic: so long as good controls are
kept to avoid abuses of a quality social program, it should stay, if
possible.

-paul