[Vision2020] Virus infected mail purportedly from "Cweitz"

David Camden-Britton groovydave at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 03:56:26 PDT 2004

Unfortunately, with Outlook Express there are certain security holes
which can allow the running of malicious code just as soon as a
message is previewed. Usually though, the person has to try and open
the attachment for a virus email to trigger its payload.

To fix these holes, it is important to go to the Windows Update
website and download the latest critical updates for your version of
Windows. You can either open Internet Explorer and click Tools -->
Windows Update or, you can go to: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
directly. Make sure and download the critical updates for your system.
 If you have Windows 2000 and haven't patched in a while, please read
these two knowledge base articles before doing so:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/ms04-011.mspx

There is one other way to avoid many of these problems altogether:
Change the programs you use.  Internet Explorer needs to be on your
system because of the vast amount of websites that require it for
proper function. However, a pretty good replacement for Internet
Explorer and Outlook Express exist thanks to the Mozilla Foundation.
You can read more about Mozilla Firefox (an alternate browser) and
Mozilla Thunderbird (an email client) here:  http://www.mozilla.org/

I'm using Firefox right now in fact, and have gotten pretty attached
to it over the last few months. One of the coolest Extensions I've
used is the Magpie Tools.

David Camden-Britton  -=)*(=- groovydave at gmail.com