[Vision2020] Christ Church update

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 20 12:30:55 PDT 2004

Dan asks:

>I'm all for taxes being paid when they are owed, and I'm all for
>exemptions being made when they are due, but why not look at every other
>church in the county and make sure they are properly taxed/exempt?
>Could be a windfall for the county, and maybe ease the burden on the
>rest of us.

There's only one Rose, there's only one Saundra, and there are only 24 hours in a day.  The question I would ask is why these two women have been obliged to do the work of the county in the first place?  Why didn't the Latah County Prosecutor's Office do its job when Christ Church first applied for its exemption and make the appropriate counter argument?  My understanding is that the prosecutor offered absolutely no objection to the original request for exemption.  Considering the sizes and locations of the buildings, the nature of the various businesses therein, and the potential revenue loss to the county, I would have expected at least a token resistance.

Perhaps when the Methodists or the Baptists or the Mormons begin running million-dollar-a-year vanity presses in their basements, Rose and Saundra will have a run at them as well.  In the meantime, those particular churches look clean, and Rose and Saundra have got their volunteer hands full doing the county's unpaid leg-work.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment  Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com