[Vision2020] From Today's Lewiston Morning Tribune

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 20 12:18:35 PDT 2004

Doug Wilson is quoted in LMT as saying:

"One of the problems with the folks who are hyperventilating is that they won't stop believing that there's a grand conspiracy," Wilson said. "We're a fairly big church in a fairly small town. Where's the panic about the Mormons?"

Where is the panic about the Mormons?  Please.  Where is the panic about Christ Church?  Doug sports 850 church members in a town of 24,000.  That's 3.5%.  Considering the fact that at least half of that number are under the age of twelve, I won't be sleeping with the light on anytime soon.  Not like I did after I watched "The Ring."  (Now, Doug crawling out of my television set, that would scare me.  But as I managed to get through the KLEW coverage of the BOE hearings without that happening, I think I can safely go back to pondering the many delights of Naomi Watts.)

Doug Wilson's political agenda is laid out exhaustively in Credenda Agenda; it's discussed ad nauseum in his thirty-odd Canon Press books, in his frequent public talks, and in his endless interviews with the local media  I completely and utterly oppose Doug's worldview.  I think he's egomaniacal and misguided.  I think he's manipulative and malicious.  Given the chance, I think Doug could do a hell of a lot of damage around here.  But then, so could my dog.  He could chase the deer, knock over the trash, and bite the postman on the ass, but I very wisely keep him in a pen or on a leash.  And that's just what the law and democracy do to Doug -- hence, his disdain for them.

Doug is not George W. Bush.  He's not in a position of power in this country, this state, or this town.  Moscow is Doug's home, not his fortress.  People are onto him here.  We know him, and we know ourselves.  We know that Moscow is much, much bigger than Douglas J. Wilson.  This is a strong, vital, diverse community.  It's enlightened, and it's broadminded.  Doug might long to inspire panic, to be the great bogeyman of our liberal/moderate/secular dreams, but he just doesn't have what it takes.  He can inspire disgust for his antics, concern for his parishioners, and outrage over his attempts to subvert and evade the law, but that's about it.  As I gaze into my crystal ball, I don't foresee a mass exodus of non-Wilsonites across the border into Pullman.  We'll stay right here where we belong, in this wonderful, hippy-dippy, progressive little town, an oasis of moderation in a reactionary sea.

I love Moscow.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment      Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com