[Vision2020] Christ Church update

Melynda Huskey mghuskey at msn.com
Tue Jul 20 10:50:05 PDT 2004

I, too, read the Tribune story, and was particularly struck by the claim
that a "group of about 50 secularists" were trying to bring down Christ
Church. . . Call me old-fashioned, but I was hearing echos of Sen. Joe
McCarthy's famous Wheeling, WV, speech:  "In my briefcase, I have the names
of 204 known Communists in the State Department."

Let me be the first to quote Joseph Welch: "Have you no sense of decency,
sir? At long last, have you left no sense of decency?"

My house holds probably as many folks identified with principled opposition
to unfair tax avoidance on the part of Christ Church as any in Moscow.  Only
one of them (my dad) is an avowed secularist--of the ethical humanist
variety.  I'm a Quaker, of the strand sometimes known as Conservative
Liberal, or Hicksite.  Rose is a Quaker (Universalist).  Joan is Jewish
(Reform/Reconstructionist).

Which means that 47 secularist conspirators have been meeting without me.  I
feel like a real wallflower.

And for the record, we're not worried about the LDS Church, nor yet the
Methodists, the Presbyterians, the Lutherans, the Nazarenes, the United
Church of Moscow, the Impact Church, the Rock Church, the True Gospel
Lighthouse, etc., etc., etc., because none of those institutions are, as far
as I can determine, asking for unfair tax exemptions.  That makes it easy.

Melynda Huskey