[Vision2020] From Today's Lewiston Morning Tribune

Just Another Tax Payer thansen at moscow.com
Tue Jul 20 10:55:12 PDT 2004

Copied and pasted from today's (7/20/2004) Lewiston Morning Tribune (as the
whining gets louder):

Wilson: Christ Church plans appeal; Pastor decries challenge to his church's
property tax exemptions, calling it 'slam-dunk harrassment'

David Johnson

MOSCOW -- Christ Church Pastor Doug Wilson said Monday church elders have
decided to appeal on principle the recent revocation of tax-exempt status on
two properties in Moscow.

Wilson also called the situation the latest example of "slam-dunk harassment"
wielded by a group of about 50 local secularists convinced the church and New
St. Andrews College officials are bent on making political inroads.

"What we're doing will have a political impact," Wilson said of the church and
college's activities in town, "but what we're doing is not political."

Rose Huskey, one of two people who brought the tax exempt challenge before the
Latah County Commission, dismissed Wilson's assertion that he, his church and
the college has been singled out.

"He's flattering himself if he thinks that's the case," said Huskey. "It's not
about religion. It's about paying taxes."

Saundra Lund, the other person who brought the challenge, echoes Huskey's
sentiments. "We didn't single them out. They singled themselves out."

Both women also took exception to being called secularists, saying they
practice the Christian faith. "That whole secular thing is a red herring," said
Lund.

Commissioners Jack Nelson and Tom Stroschein, acting as the county Board of
Equalization, decided last week that Anslem House and the portion of New St.
Andrews College, which contains a commercial bakery were not being used
exclusively for religious or educational purposes. Commissioner Paul Kimmell
recused himself from the decision because he's a member of Christ Church.

According to Latah County Assessor Steve Fiscus, more than $12,000 will be
collected on Anslem House alone.

Regardless of whether the appeal is won or lost, said Wilson, the city will get
its money. If the church loses the appeal before the Idaho Board of Tax
Appeals, Wilson said the church would pay the total taxes owed. If it wins, it
will still "donate a comparable amount of money" to the city.

Huskey and Lund also confirmed Monday that they plan to appeal a third tax
exempt challenge denied by the commissioners. That challenge concerns the use
of the south half of the college located adjacent to Friendship Square in
Moscow.

Wilson said the merits of the church's appeal are sound, especially in light of
due process issues surrounding the matter. He said the commissioners acted
hastily and didn't afford the church's attorney, Greg Dickison, an opportunity
to fully review the allegations against them. Dickison could not be reached for
comment. Wilson likened the commissioners' actions to a "Mad Hatter tea party"
geared to meeting a midnight deadline before state tax officials last week.

"I'm delighted that (Wilson's) exercising his constitutional rights, just as we
have and will continue to do," said Huskey. "Paying taxes is a citizen's duty.
Naturally we would encourage all businesses in Moscow to pay their taxes."

Wilson, however, questioned whether Huskey, Lund or any of the people who
continue to challenge Christ Church would question other tax-exempt properties.
He said the tax issue is little more than the latest stick being swung against
the church and college.

"One of the problems with the folks who are hyperventilating is that they won't
stop believing that there's a grand conspiracy," Wilson said. "We're a fairly
big church in a fairly small town. Where's the panic about the Mormons?"