[Vision2020] Book Review

Captain Kirker captainkirker at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 19 15:36:30 PDT 2004

Visionheads:

As an official spokesman for Douglas Wilson, he wants everyone in 20/20land
to know that more and more mainstream conservative denominations have caught
whiff of his pestilence, and that it’s just a matter of time before you will
find him in the “H” section of church history. “H,” that is, for “Heretick.”

Witness the book “Not Reformed At All,” which is an expose of our very own
“small town” huckster. I just received my copy in the mail and, so far, it’s
an excellent read. After a cursory glance, the book appears to shed light on
Wilson’s dishonesty, sophistry, and word games, otherwise known as
“dougspeak”; sadly, however, it fails to mention his thefts. (Remember,
Doug, if you had to pay it back, then that means you *stole* it; and if you
stole it, then you’re a thief.)

Since the book requires a working knowledge of Reformed theology, I thought
I would leave you with two quotes instead of boring you with the details.
The first is taken from page 17, where the author sets Wilson’s arrogant
conceit in verse:

My name is Doug,
I am so cool:
’Til you agree,
You are a fool.

The second quote is taken from page 20. After thoroughly demolishing a
Wilson argument, the author closes with this statement:

“Wilson simply makes a statement and expects his readers to accept it. His
thought and writing are episodic and oracular; he ejaculates ipsedixitisms
and expects his readers to accept them. . . Rather than providing valid
arguments from true premises, Wilson offers his ‘conviction’ that this or
that is so. His appeal to ‘conviction’ fits his irrational,
anti-intellectual philosophy, but it carries no probative weight. Rather, it
reveals Wilson’s intellectual bankruptcy.”

There you have it: “intellectual bankruptcy,” the Captain couldn’t have said
it any better. Well, maybe he would have added the words, “which is grounded
in his moral bankruptcy.” But perhaps that will be in the next chapter.
Until then,

I am, and shall be, at your service.

Planning a family vacation? Check out the MSN Family Travel guide!
http://dollar.msn.com