[Vision2020] Jane Siberry

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 16 15:26:53 PDT 2004

Ted writes:

>Yes, OK, laugh all you want, your humor is relentless, and much needed in these strange times, but who wrote the >song you say is so lovely, "Calling All Angels," from the Jane Siberry album "When I Was A Boy?"  Not the grand k. d. >lang.  The divine Siberry! Great voices are all over the place but divinely inspired song writing is rare.

Okay, Ted.  You're correct -- the divine Siberry did write "Calling All Angels," which is a truly beautiful song, but I must object to your implication that k. d. lang is just a throat.  Though lang is primarily an interpreter, she writes songs, too.  They are not as lyrically sophisticated as Siberry's (or Morrissey's, or Cole Porter's, or W. S. Gilbert's . . . you get my drift) but she has a voice straight from God and lungs like weather balloons.  Hearing her sing live is an amazing experience; indescribable.

But I tell you what -- since we're talking about very smart singer/songwriters, and since I *do* like Jane Siberry, I will listen to "When I Was a Boy" all the way through.  You have to promise me, though, that you'll listen to the excellent Aimee Mann's "Lost in Space."  If you can't find a copy, I'll be happy to loan you one.  Aimee Mann is a genius.  Vive l'Aimee Mann!

Auntie E/Joan O    Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com