[Vision2020] Sorry, Debbie . . .

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 15 14:19:05 PDT 2004

I am deeply sympathetic to Debbie's desire to talk about something other than Doug Wilson's tax troubles.  As Rose Huskey's unpaid social secretary, I have answered countless phone calls this week from reporters, interested citizens, accountants, professors, pharmacists, politicians, butchers, bakers, candlestick makers and just plain-old adoring fans.  It's like interning for a cross between Condoleeza Rice and Britney Spears.  I was thinking I might buy Rose a red power suit and a Mr. Microphone and book her a gig at Rendezvous in the Park.  ("What a girl wants, what a girl needs, is for Doug to pay his taxes . . . money, please!")

Doug Jones is free to dismiss this as small town politics, and Doug Wilson can try to blame his bete noir, The Daily News (why?  Have they retained Bob Woodward?  Is Vera White secretly Lois Lane?  I thought I saw Margot Kidder coming out of Bookpeople), but there's a grass roots movement afoot here.  It's the everyone-should-pay-their-fair-share movement.  Property taxes have gone up all over the county, and Moscow businesses in particular have felt the pinch.  Meanwhile, Doug has been running a million-dollar-a-year vanity press out of tax-exempt Anselm House.  It's nice that he's offered to "give" the county some do-re-mi should he win his appeal, but I'd rather he just paid what he owes.  This is Latah County, not Hazzard County.  Until we're under the governance of Boss Hogg and Roscoe P Coltrane, we need to continue to recognize the distinction between a debt and a bribe.

Now, for Debbie's sake and for mine -- Ted, would you please tell us more about Jane Siberry?  Or, if we really want to stir up a hornets' nest, we could all consider the following proposition:  Canadians are way cooler than Americans, yes or no?  They have national health care.  They sell milk in a bag.  They gave us William Shatner.  What about it?

Yours sincerely,
Daisy Duke
(AKA Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment)

PS: Boss Dougg has kind of a ring to it . . . like when you drop a nickel into a toilet bowl.  Ding, ding, splash. Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com