[Vision2020] Speaking of the Mariners...

Tim Lohrmann timlohr at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 15 14:39:05 PDT 2004

It was sad to see the Ole news. But as much as I like him, I'm the $7.whatever million that the M's are still gonna pay him will ease the blow for him.
Hard to spare too much sympathy for a fellow making over a half million a month I guess, but I still hate to see it.
It will be cool to see Bucky Jacobsen up here. There's now way he has Ole's glove, but if he can learn to hit a big league breaking ball he should be a real live power threat in the middle of the order.

It's also kind of a shame that Edgar decided to come back this year. I know he has broken some of the DH records that were probably a big factor in his decision, but it's pretty clear that his eye at the plate ain't what it used to be.

I figure B. Boone will be back--his hitting has been so poor so far, that even if he continues to come out of his extended slump his value in a trade won't match what they'd give up defensively.

Also, I don't see why the rebuilding project has to take three to five years.
But I believe it will if they follow what seems to be their plan of relying ONLY on the promising young pitching coming up from Tacoma.
Those guys are going to struggle against big-league hitters for a couple of years at least.

The team is clearly shedding major payroll, so I vote for not only bringing in some big-hitting position players, but at least one established starter, and a couple of solid relievers as well.
And, if as rumored,  they're seriously thinking of trading Guardado as well, they're going to need a reliable closer too.
I vote for Uguete Urbina he's only on a one year contract at Detroit I think, so he should be available.

What'cha think?
  TL

Carl Westberg <carlwestberg846 at hotmail.com> wrote:
Just as Scott Dredge advocates retooling, the Mariners announce they're
releasing John Olerud. It's rebuilding time...

Carl Westberg Jr.

Get tips for maintaining your PC, notebook accessories and reviews in
Technology 101. http://special.msn.com/tech/technology101.armx

List services made available by First Step Internet,
mailto:Vision2020 at moscow.com