[Vision2020] Another Important Topic: Huckleberry Recipes :-)

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Fri Jul 16 10:20:08 PDT 2004

Visionaries:

I have a confession:  even though I've lived here for over 15 years, I'd
never(!) had huckleberries until last year.  Yes, I know . . . sad but true.  My
husband ordered huckleberry pancakes at the Breakfast Club, he shared a bite
with me, and I've been in love with the little treasures since  :-)

However, since I am new to huckleberry worship <g>, I don't have many
huckleberry recipes.  I did find a couple "out there" on the Internet, and they
were OK (actually one for Hucklebuckle was fabulous), but if any of you have
favorite recipes you'd be willing to share privately with a huckleberry
neophyte, I'd be very grateful!

Out of our little family of three, I adore them, my dh likes them, and my
daughter doesn't care for them.  I don't understand what's wrong with my
daughter -- how can anyone not like huckleberries?!?!?

Oh . . . one other thing I'll share that I was thrilled to find out.  If there
are any (other) transplanted Southerners here who miss fried okra, I have great
news:  Otto's Produce at the corner of Sixth & Jackson gets fresh okra in
season!!!  They even have a list -- if you give them your name & phone number,
they'll give you a call when it arrives  :-)  Man, I am drooling in anticipation
already  :-)  My brother & I had to make a trip "back home" last year, and we
both thought we'd died & went to heaven being able to enjoy fried okra again!
Actually, I don't have much sympathy for him because he lives in CA where okra
is available, so he could cook it himself.

And, if you're a boiled peanut fan, Otto's Produce might be able to help you out
as well  :-)

TIA,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID