[Vision2020] Cornerstone of Democracy Needs Help

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Wed Jul 14 11:44:20 PDT 2004

Sign with address and send to:

president at whitehouse.gov

I'm sure our noble and fair president wants the upcoming election to be
monitored for fairness and lawfulness as fully as possible, don't you think?

To: George W. Bush

We call on you to request expert election monitors to avoid an unprecedented
electoral and Constitutional crisis over the Presidential election of November
2, 2004. Such a request was made by 13 Members of Congress on July 1, 2004.

We saw a preview of this crisis in 2000 in Florida. We believe the 2004
crisis will be worse because:

Across the nation, error-prone punchcard machines have been replaced by
touchscreen machines that have failed repeatedly in actual elections. These
machines lack paper trails, their source code is proprietary, and computer security
experts believe these machines are hackable, so voters have no confidence their
votes will be recorded and counted honestly.

To compound voter fears, Diebold CEO Wally O'Dell vowed to "deliver" Ohio's
crucial electoral votes to you

The crimes committed by partisan Florida election officials in 2000 were
never punished, which sent a clear signal to partisan officials that they could
violate election laws with impunity

As the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights documented in 2001, discrimination
against minorities - mostly Democrats - in 2000 was widespread. More than half of
the votes that went uncounted nationwide were cast by minorities. Most of
these problems were never fixed, as the Commission documented in April 2004

Most of the Florida non-felons whose voting rights were illegally revoked in
2000 have not regained their voting rights, and the 2004 "felon" purge was
rigged to hurt Democrats by removing black "felons" and help Republicans by
overlooking hispanic "felons." This revelation - following a lawsuit opposed by
Florida - created a furor, but officials insist they will "find other ways" to
purge "felons"

Also in Florida, Republicans eliminated the witness requirement for absentee
ballots, creating a major opportunity for fraud. Republicans are tricking new
citizens into registering as Republicans by illegally pre-checking the
"Republican" box

In Missouri, the Republican Secretary of State is trying to stop mainly
Democratic voters in St. Louis from voting early

There may be many other illegal activities underway at the state and local
level that have simply not been discovered because no one is looking for them

Key officials in your administration seek the power to postpone (or cancel)
the 2004 election based on warnings of terrorist attacks, even though past
warnings have been conspicuously politicized

Pro-Republican bias in the corporate-owned media, especially at Fox News, has
been widely documented, creating an uneven playing field for the campaign.
This problem is compounded by the extremely limited coverage planned for the
summer conventions

All five Republican Supreme Court Justices who betrayed America by throwing
out 175,000 uncounted votes in 2000 remain on the Court, so any dispute that
ends up in the Supreme Court will lack legitimacy.  The American people share
our concerns. A poll in June 2004 found 44% of all voters - and 62% of Democrats
- fear a Florida-style debacle in November.

We believe observers who are experts in administering honest, transparent,
and fair elections are needed for the "battleground" states (Arkansas, Florida,
Iowa, Maine, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico,
Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin) that will
decide the Presidency. We call on you to request such experts from the United
Nations, the Organization of American States, and the Carter Center.