[Vision2020] UI Task Force Members Paid!!?

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 8 13:58:58 PDT 2004

Thanks, Mr. Force, for sharing the information with Vision 2020.

You wrote:
"Remember, they're not realeased from their regular duties, unless trhey use the
$7,500 for a buy-out."

Well, I don't mean to quibble, but I'm not sure that's completely accurate.  I
know of at least two non-Task Force (already strapped) UI employees who have had
their workloads increased (with no additional compensation) to "help out" with
the regular duties of Task Force members (who are receiving additional financial
compensation).

Mind you, if I worked at the UI, I don't think you could pay me enough to want
to be on that particular Task Force!

However, I think being on the Task Force with its additional compensation is a
nice little peach for that select group.  It SUCKS for the rest of the employees
who have gone without raises for far too long, but . . .

And, quite frankly, I think increasing the workload of those not on the Task
Force to "help out" those on the Task Force stinks.  As a community, there's a
sense that everyone should be pitching in to "get the job done" and support the
Task Force's efforts, but I think it's bound to cause resentment that those
already overworked souls not on the Task Force are having to pick up the
inevitable slack from those who are being paid to be on the Task Force in
addition to their regular pay.

I think it's also hard to foster a sense of a community and sell the idea that
the UI financial difficulties are something all employees are in together as a
team when a select group (I join others in being interested in the selection
criteria) is getting a substantial financial perk for an issue *all* are trying
to resolve.

But, perhaps that's part of the reason the financial compensation has been kept
such a quiet little secret???

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.