[Vision2020] White House Updates

All Hail King George thansen at moscow.com
Fri Jul 2 15:00:55 PDT 2004

         W H I T E   H O U S E   E M A I L  U P D A T E S
                          WEEKLY REVIEW

July 2, 2004

In this Issue
 - AT THE TOP
   > Jobs & Economic Growth
   > Iraqi Freedom
 - IN THE NEWS
   ^1 Middle East Democracy
   ^2 Civil Rights
   ^3 Sudan
   ^4 U.N. Ambassador
   ^5 Website Exclusives

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~At the Top~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   Jobs & Economic Growth
   OVER 1.5 MILLION JOBS SINCE AUGUST AFTER TEN MONTHS OF GAINS

   Figures released on Friday show America created 112,000
   new jobs in June.  That's 1.3 million new jobs this year,
   and 1.5 million jobs added since August -- the result of
   ten consecutive months of gains.  At this pace, over 2.5
   million new jobs could be created this year.  At 5.6
   percent, the unemployment rate remains below the average
   rate during the '70s, '80s, and '90s.  And the
   unemployment rate has declined across all levels of
   education, race, and age in the past year.

   Also on Friday, President Bush spoke with entrepreneurs
   from across the country in the East Room of the White
   House.  They discussed the good economic news, as well as
   the need for more work to be done.  The President outlined
   his six-point plan to continue to strengthen our economy
   and create more American jobs.

   More Good News
   President Bush's policies are working, the economy is strong
   and growing stronger.  People are working and keeping more of
   their hard earned money:

   - Consumer confidence is at a two year high

   - Real after tax income is up 11% since 2000

   - Employment was up in 44 of the 50 states this year

   - Unemployment is down in all regions, and in 46 of the
     50 states this year

   - The household survey shows even stronger job growth, up
     1.7 million since August

   - Manufacturing employment grew by 64,000 jobs since
     January, and recent surveys indicate further gains are on the
     way

   Speaking to small business owners on Friday, President
   Bush said, "One of my most important jobs is to help
   create an environment in which the entrepreneurial
   spirit flourishes, because I believe that the fact that
   America is a heaven for the entrepreneur is one of the
   real strengths of our country.

   "After all we've been through -- a recession, a
   national emergency, a war, corporate scandals --  we've
   got an economy which is changing.  The nature of the
   job base is changing.  And all that means it's been a
   difficult period of time.  Yet we're strong, we're
   getting stronger.  ...[P]eople are going back to work
   because the small businesses sector of America is
   strong and vibrant and confident."

   Full Fact Sheet:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/07/20040702-1.html

   President's Remarks:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/07/20040702-3.html

   Iraqi Freedom
   PRESIDENT BUSH & P.M. BLAIR DISCUSS ACCELERATED IRAQI TRANSITION
   TO SOVEREIGNTY

   The world has witnessed the Iraqi people moving ahead of
   schedule to take control of their own government and their
   own future.  In a press conference with Prime Minister
   Blair on Monday, President Bush said, "Earlier today, 15
   months after the liberation of Iraq, and two days ahead of
   schedule, the world witnessed the arrival of a free and
   sovereign Iraqi government.  Iraqi officials informed us
   that they are ready to assume power, and Prime Minister
   Allawi believes that making this transition now is best
   for his country.

   "After decades of brutal rule by a terror regime, the
   Iraqi people have their country back.  This is a day of
   great hope for Iraqis, and a day that terrorist enemies
   hoped never to see.  Sovereignty is a tribute to the will
   of the Iraqi people and the courage of Iraqi leaders."

   Transition Q&A
   - Q: Why was the transfer moved up from June 30?
   - A: The decision was made at the request of the new
     Iraqi government, based on their ability to operate their
     government on a daily basis.

   - Q: Was the transfer moved up due to concerns about
     terrorism on June 30?
   - A: We continue to expect that the enemy in Iraq will
     continue to try to inflict harm and violence, but Monday's
     action demonstrates to Iraqis that their new government is
     ready to perform its task of fulfilling their hopes and
     aspirations.

   - Q: Now that the transfer has happened, what will be the
     role of the U.S. military in Iraq?
   - A: Our military will stay as long as the stability of
     Iraq requires, and only as long as their presence is needed and
     requested by the Iraqi government.

   President's and Prime Minister's Remarks:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040628-9.html

   Photo of Note Passed to President Bush Confirming Transition:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/images/20040628-
9_sovereignty062804-515h.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~In The News~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

^1 Middle East Democracy
   PRESIDENT'S REMARKS AT GALATASARY UNIVERSITY IN TURKEY

   On Tuesday, President Bush spoke at Galatasary University in
   Istanbul, Turkey.  In his remarks, the President discussed
   the role of democracy in the Middle East, and said, "In their
   need for hope, in their desire for peace, in their right to
   freedom, the peoples of the Middle East are exactly like you
   and me.  Their birthright of freedom has been denied for too
   long.  And we will do all in our power to help them find the
   blessings of liberty."

   President's Remarks:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040629-1.html

^2 Civil Rights
   40TH ANNIVERSARY OF CIVIL RIGHTS ACT CELEBRATED AT WHITE HOUSE

   President Bush on Thursday said, "Our nation's conscience was
   moved by hundreds of thousands who marched right here in the
   nation's capital to demand the full promise of the
   Declaration and America's founding law."

   President's Remarks:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/07/20040701-10.html

^3 Sudan
   U.S. CALLS ON SUDANESE GOVERNMENT TO DISARM JINJAWEED

   On Tuesday, President Bush directed Secretary Powell to
   travel to Darfur, Sudan to urge the Sudanese Government to
   heed the concerns of the international community and find a
   quick resolution to the crisis.

   President's Statement:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/06/20040629-6.html

^4 U.N. Ambassador
   SENATOR DANFORTH SWORN-IN AS NEW AMBASSADOR TO THE U.N.

   President Bush on Thursday said, "In all our work at the
   U.N., Ambassador John C. Danforth will be a strong voice for
   the humane and decent conscience of America."

   President's & Ambassador's Remarks:
   http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2004/07/20040701-9.html

^5 Website Exclusives
   HIGHLIGHTS OF CONTENT FOUND ONLY AT WHITEHOUSE.GOV

   This week's highlights featured on Whitehouse.gov:

     http://www.whitehouse.gov/ask/20040701.html

     http://www.whitehouse.gov/ask/20040702.html