[Vision2020] Public Defenders Office

bubba jones bubbajones9763@hotmail.com
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:54:40 +0000

Tom,
If the defendant knows he did it, and the state can prove he did it how does
it best serve the defendant to go to trial, knowing that if he does, he will
get a longer prison sentence?  If the defendant knows he did it, isn't it in
his best interest to make a deal before the case goes to trial?

If the PD is doing nothing more than cleaning out his/her inbox by dealing,
rather than going to trial, then, yes, there would be a problem.  If,
however, the PD is doing what's in the best interest of his/her client by
dealing then, the PD is doing his/her job.

If you make winning, the standard by which PDs are judged, then I would
venture to guess that there wouldn't be a PD in the nation who would get a
passing grade.

B. Jones

>From: thansen@moscow.com
>To: "bubba jones" <bubbajones9763@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re:[Vision2020] Public Defenders Office Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2004
>17:19:34 GMT
>
>Earth shattering news ! !
>
>Our court system does not always separate justice from injustice.  In many
>cases, it separates winners from losers.  It is always best for an attorney
>to "win" for his/her client.  With that said, a Public (or in the
>Dougster's
>lingo "Government") Defender should always strive to win, not settle for
>less
>simply because it is expedient and cleans out his/her In Box.
>
>An excellent movie that exemplifies what is stated above is "And Justice
>for
>All" with Al Pacino.
>
>Tom Hansen
>
> > Correct me if I'm wrong, and I know you will, but I don't think it's the
>job
> > of the public defender to help set guilty people free.  Isn't it rather
>his
> > job to make sure the state has a case, can prove its case and has not
> > violated any of the defendant's rights?  What people don't seem to
>remember
> > is that the person accused of the crime knows whether he/she did it or
>not.
> > If the accused actually did the crime Isn't it in his best interest to
>try
> > and get a lesser sentence by making a deal with the prosecutor?
> >
> > It doesn't seem right to judge the PD based upon how many cases he
>brings to
> > trial.  He may do better by his client by not going to trial.
> >
> > IMHO B. Jones

> > Check out the coupons and bargains on MSN Offers!
> > http://shopping.msn.com/softcontent/softcontent.aspx?scmId=1418

> >  List services made available by First Step Internet,
> >                http://www.fsr.net
> >           mailto:Vision2020@moscow.com
> > ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

>This message was sent by First Step Internet.
>            http://www.fsr.net/

Check out the new MSN 9 Dial-up — fast & reliable Internet access with prime