[Vision2020] Public Defenders Office

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam@hotmail.com
Fri, 30 Jan 2004 09:43:30 -0800

<DIV class=RTE>
<P>Bubba wrote:</P>
<P>"Correct me if I'm wrong, and I know you will, but I don't think it's the job of the public defender to help set guilty people free.&nbsp;&nbsp; Isn't it rather his job to make sure the state has a case, can prove its case and has not violated any of the defendant's rights?"</P>
<P>I think it's the job of all attorneys to try to win the case, if they can.&nbsp; (Your term 'help set guilty people free'&nbsp;does not necessarily apply, since a&nbsp;client who is factually guilty may not have been incarcerated at all, and may never be if we can win the case.)&nbsp;&nbsp; </P>
<P>"What people don't seem to remember is that the person accused of the crime knows whether he/she did it or not.&nbsp;&nbsp;If the accused actually did the crime Isn't it in his best interest to try and get a lesser sentence by making a deal with the prosecutor?"</P>
<P>You're talking about Plan Z here.&nbsp; Sure, if we can't win we try to make the best deal.&nbsp; But first we need to see if we can win.&nbsp;&nbsp;If the admissible evidence is such that we don't think we can win, then&nbsp;it's usually in the client's best interest to &nbsp;try to get the best sentence possible.&nbsp;</P>
<P>Just my view,</P>
<P>Sunil<BR></P>
<P>&nbsp;</P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>