[Vision2020] Tim's feminism

amy smoucha asmoucha@hotmail.com
Sun, 25 Jan 2004 16:24:16 -0600

Oh, you are so right, Tim.  Had we been savvy, we would have supported Dole
that year.  That would have been one big step forward for women's issues!
Silly us!

So, since Bush is such a disaster, I know you will be joining us in
supporting Kerry this year.  Here's a link so you can send your donation
http://www.johnkerry.com/ .

Amy

----Original Message Follows----
From: Tim Lohrmann <timlohr@yahoo.com>
To: asmoucha@hotmail.com
CC: vision2020@moscow.com
Subject: Re: [Vision2020] Tim's feminism
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2004 22:14:19 -0800 (PST)

  Amy,
      When in doubt--deny.
      As far as policy goes, feminist leaders may have had a few
disagreements with Clinton, but they sure lined up to support him for a
second term---AFTER he had caved in to the GOP Congress on issue after
issue.
      In reality, very few feminist leaders or democrat leaders spelled it
out for what it was-- sexual harassment. The Fiensteins, Boxers and
Mikulskis sure knew which side their bread was buttered on didn't they?
      Again let's face it, Paula Jones would be a full saint in the feminist
world right now if  only what? If only Willie had a R by his name.
      If the Limbaughs and the Starrs had been on the D side going after
him? What then? Glowing reviews in all the D-Lib publications you mention.
          TL

amy smoucha <asmoucha@hotmail.com> wrote:
Tim,

Throughout Clinton's presidency, the feminist and the feminist-minded spoke
out against him, quite a lot. We spoke out clearly and loudly as he
overhauled welfare to the detriment of families, we spoke out when he fired
Dr. Elders, we spoke out when he made gestures at overhauling affirmative
action in ways similar to Bush's plans (but Clinton backed off), and we
spoke out when he waffled on his election promises to the gay & lesbian
community, to name a few. Our anger at the Clinton administration's
*policies* influenced many of us not to vote for Gore (yep, I confess I
voted for Nader, and in a swing state too. I love the tee-shirt "Gore makes
me want to Ralph").

And Tim, women's groups and feminists even criticized Clinton over the
Flowers, Jones & Lewinsky scandals. Many women's organizations and
political writers had lots to say. If you don't know that, maybe you
weren't listening. Conservative commentators and talk show hosts invented
the "feminist hypocrisy," accusing women's groups of defending Clinton while
so much debate was going on in progressive magazins and zines, it would make
your head spin. Debate aside, nothing could have moved me to spend energy
in the Clinton-hating frenzy that ensued around the sex and the lies. I was
so disgusted with Kenneth Starr,the rabid republicans in Congress, and the
Rush Limbaughs that I wouldn't dream of joining their game. The
investigation and impeachment/censure proceedings were a huge waste of time
and resources.

Do a little research Tim, the feminist and feminist-minded had been speaking
out against Clinton for much more important things, and we had more pressing
concerns in relation to national politics. What did you want us to do, join
Concerned Women for America & the Eagle Forum? You are remembering that
time through an odd lens. Your broad statments about what feminists should
care about and what women's groups were doing during the Clinton presidency
are just uninformed. Just as we are now, with Bush, we were criticizing bad
policies, influiencing legislation and appropriations, and trying to use the
political system to make gains for women, families and communities. Sorry
to bust your bubble.

Amy