[Vision2020] RE: LOS aka Lost Our Slaves (Yes, this is long, but packed with info and li

Edna Wilmington edwilming@yahoo.com
Mon, 19 Jan 2004 14:47:22 -0800 (PST)

Forum Members,

Mike's and Tom's discussion of different types of rape
is clearly an excercise in semantics.  Nevertheless,
semantics are important.

No offense to the men, but as a female, I'm crystal
clear on one basic (and most common) definition of
rape as forcing another person to submit to sex acts
(whether brutally violent or not).  I'm also clear on
a second non-sexual definition of rape as plunder
(e.g. the rape of Nanking).  Lastly, a third and more
arbitrary definition of rape (i.e. statutory rape)
concerns legal dictates such as age of consent
regulations.  Strictly considered, statutory rape can
be committed without violence and with the full
consent of the victim. Thus, the state decides (more
or less arbitrarily) who will be classified as victims
of statutory rape (e.g. all persons under the age of
17).

All of these definitions and distinctions are
necessary ones, and with all due respect to Mr.
Hansen, the first form of rape (which he labeled "lie
in wait," as if lying in wait makes any difference)
isn't simply a violent act of control.  As a woman, it
bugs me every time I hear this nonsense (especially
when I hear it from females!). In the unlikely event
of my being given a choice, I'd prefer my violent acts
of control free of sexual violation, thank you.  In a
well-intentioned effort to accentuate the violent
character of rape, proponents of that view ignore
rape's distinctively sexual nature.  We have other
more suitable terms for violent acts of control, like
battery or kidnapping, as the case may be.

I grant Mr. Lawyer's main point: It's possible for one
to agree with Bill Clinton's policies without
condoning his philandering. To cite a more extreme
example, one might favor Hitler's plan to produce
affordable Volkswagens for all Germans without
sanctioning his plan to exterminate Jews.

Now, how might this affect our approach to
understanding the relationships among Pastors Wilson,
Wilkins, and even R.L. Dabney; or better yet, between
yours truly and one rather brilliant slaveholder,
Thomas Jefferson? In the latter case, I'd prefer the
reader distinguish without separating.

One more thing: I hope Mr. London's listening in.

Edna Wilmington